Path selection options for branch tagging

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
abrasion

Path selection options for branch tagging

Post by abrasion »

Good morning / evening:

Let's say I have the following root folders, with hundreds of duplicates within them, many paths deep
d:\yellow files\
d:\blue files\
e:\green files\
c:\files I am pretty sure I can delete - red files!\
Now I have duplicates across all 4 of these folders, infact 2 of them are identical from the root branch (it doesn't matter which)

Let's say I *do not* have an 'authoritative source' for the files but I *DO* know, I'm definitely comfortable deleting the files in "c:\files I am pretty sure I can delete - red files!\" how can I do this?
I've been using the package for a while and I'd like to select all the files underneath that root path, no matter how many subfolders deep it goes - if there's a duplicate under that root path, I want it tagged for deletion.

The problem with the current selection tool, unless I'm doing it wrong, is I can set up an exclusion path which will delete all duplicate files from all paths EXCEPT my chosen exclusion path - but that means some of the duplicates I may actually want multiple times, are going to be deleted.

Does this make sense?
Last edited by abrasion on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
abrasion

Re: Path selection options for branch tagging

Post by abrasion »

Just to clarify the above post.
d:\yellow files\
d:\blue files\
e:\green files\
Let's say I am 100% sure that "d:\yellow files\" is a place I'd definitely like to keep all copies of my duplicates - it's my main documents directory!
So "d:\yellow files\finance.xls" really needs to stay!
But "c:\files I am pretty sure I can delete - red files!\mess\lol\finance.xls" I am 100% sure I want to delete
HOWEVER, I actually do need a copy of "d:\blue files\backup copy of important data\finance.xls"

So the current selection tool, could "protect" files in yellow but it would delete finance.xls from both blue and red files.
Long story short, I need a "any dupes, under this path - are definitely safe to delete" option.

(my drive system is .... very, very messy)
therube

Post by therube »

As a start, while a "Red" folder has focus, Mark All Duplicates In This Folder (or Folder Tree) would be one method to use.

That would mark all DUPs found in the Red folder - only.
(If it matters to you, you would want to check that 'Groups will all files marked' had nothing listed.)

And you could do the same with "Blue"

Note that the possibility exists that you have selected a file pair in both Red & Blue that does not exist at all in Yellow or Green. And if you deleted both the Red & Blue, then the file would not exist at all.
abrasion

Post by abrasion »

The mark all dups in this folder (or folder tree) is broken from how I'm seeing it - it doesn't work it's way up the tree.
I've finally found what I wanted - by selecting using the text filter, choosing path and manually typing

That way it's capturing ANYTHING under that path (my intention)
therube

Post by therube »

> it doesn't work it's way up the tree

Not sure what you mean by that?
It should be marking all DUPs in "c:\files I am pretty sure I can delete - red files!\" & subdirectories there of.

(If you started your marking in a subdirectory of that directory, then no it would only mark files below that point. It would not work its way "up" the tree.)

> using the text filter, choosing path and manually typing
> c:\files I am pretty sure I can delete - red files!\

Which should be exactly the same as what I suggested - assuming that when you select the command to mark the folders you are starting at the "c:\files I am pretty sure I can delete - red files!\" directory point.