Pro Limitations Should Be Noted

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
therube

Pro Limitations Should Be Noted

Post by therube »

Pro version, running in Trial mode, Limitations Should Be Noted.

Such as:
You cannot remove files from group numbers greater then 100 in the Trial Version
To me, such limitations should be listed, clearly, at the very least on the download page.
(Not to mention here, Duplicate Cleaner 3.1 Manual.)

Wanting to protect your product is fine.
Limiting your product in Trial Mode is fine.

But not informing someone of the limitations is not.

Person downloads with serious intent of exploring capabilities.
Runs a scan, perhaps a very long scan.
Goes through all the machinations required.
Perhaps finding lots of potential duplicates.
Runs through some involved selections.
Then goes to the step, the deletion, to see that it actually performs as expected, only to be shot down.

If you're going to limit, make sure the limitation are noted, first.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Pro Limitations Should Be Noted

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Good point, but it is on the trial registration screen that comes up (and in manual!)

See screenshot here:
http://www.duplicatecleaner.com/manual/ ... __pro_.htm

Maybe it needs to be more prominent?
therube

Re: Pro Limitations Should Be Noted

Post by therube »

Because people (myself included) don't read, don't pay attention.

And even if it is there, in the manual, on the registration screen, one is not likely to look in the manual, at least not initially, & very likely to miss it on the registration screen.

I don't know how long the limitations have been there, but I never noticed them until today.

Anytime that I would bring up the Trial, I knew I had no key, so I automatically ignore all - except for the 'Use Trial' button.

My fault for not paying attention, sure.

But I'm not looking to "pay attention", I'm only looking to see if this application meets my needs. Whether I can use & understand it, first, without needing to read. I just want to jump in & go & see.

Now, if I go to download the app, & if the limitations are listed on the download page, then it is for me to see, & if I miss or skip it there, then at that point I fault myself for that. But at least the information is there.

"Hey, I ran your trial, & when I went to delete ..."

"But ... on the download page, the limitations are noted."

"Oh, silly me for not paying attention."
"OK, thanks."

If I were that person who was seriously looking & if I ignored a limitation notice on the download page, then I blame myself.

If I were that person who was seriously looking & if there were no notice on the download page, even if it was on the registration screen, I would most likely be angry at you - even though I was not paying attention.

(Prior to posting, initially, I even looked through the online help, searched for "Limit", did go to the registration help topic, & still missed it.)

(I only brought this up; 1, because of the Freezing thread, & the suggestion to try the Trial, & 2, because I just ran into & never realized it existed - even though I had run the Trial on a number of occasions. At that point, my immediate thought was, if I were Mr. Freezing, & I just spent a good bit of time exploring the program, & then I get to the end of my testing & realize there were limits ... :-).)