How to best remove a large amount of files

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
jdc2059

How to best remove a large amount of files

Post by jdc2059 »

Hi all,

Ok, so I have a 1TB drive that has a whole lot of duplicate files/folders etc... and I'm trying to use this program to get rid of all the files I don't want.

I thought the folder duplication method would work well, but is there no "selection assistant" tool that you can use with that? You just have to individually select each folder? If so then that will not work as I have too many duplicate folders to go through and individually select.

So then I tried using the file method. I had it select all but 1 file from each group...but when I did that it was not keeping the one file I wanted. For example I would like the file in /documents, I don't want the file in /trash/documents/, does that make sense? Also keep in mind most of my files have the same creation date/update date so I cannot filter by this. I'm thinking perhaps I can select a file, right-click and select "mark all duplicate files>>in this folder(or folder tree)" Can I then select "mark all files but one in the group" and it will work alongside that (meaning keep the ones that are marked). Sorry this is so long, maybe someone can help clear this up.

Thanks!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: How to best remove a large amount of files

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Hi,
You could try the Select by Location tool. This allows you to choose a folder you want to keep, and will select the files elsewhere that have twins in this folder.