Files falsely flagged as identical

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Fleisch

Files falsely flagged as identical

Post by Fleisch »

I've been using Duplicate Cleaner to weed out the tons of duplicates in my font collection, and I love all the options (such as keep the oldest file instead of the newest). However, I happened to notice that it was flagging some fonts as duplicates that were not exact duplicates. I used all the different options, including byte to byte comparison, and even downloaded the Pro version, and got the same results. It's true that the files flagged were the same 'font', with the same title, but they were not the same version, date, or size, and the copyright restrictions were different (which is crucial). What's odd is that in the results, they showed up incorrectly as being the same size and date. Now I'm frightened that I've deleted a bunch of files that weren't really duplicates. I have uploaded a sample of 2 freeware fonts from Pizza Dude that were flagged as identical for you to test. (In case the attachment doesn't work, you can also get them at http://min.us/mbhEC2gFut )
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Files falsely flagged as identical

Post by DigitalVolcano »

hi,
I've tested and these two files are different and not found as identical. Have you got a screenshot, or export csv showing the problem with the two files? Does it work when just testing these two files your end?

thanks!
Fleisch

Post by Fleisch »

PizzaSnap1.jpg
When I scanned them separately, in a file together, they weren't flagged as identical. In their "native habitat", however, they were. So I'm going to guess it has something to do with my file structure, which, out of necessity has tons and tons of subfolders. Screenshot attached. I renamed the folders to show the copyright status of the files, just to show that they aren't identical (and they aren't really the same size either, the way they show up in the shot).
Fleisch

Post by Fleisch »

Never mind -- I figured out the problem, and it WAS my file structure, but only to the extent that I had added a folder from a backup drive prior to the sorting by copyright, so the files flagged as identical were not the ones that I attached, but files that actually WERE identical . Sorry for the false alarm. You get a clean bill of health! :oops:
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Glad you sorted it. Enjoy your tidy font library :)