Bug: problems with errors during delete of files

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
olafmar

Bug: problems with errors during delete of files

Post by olafmar »

Hello,
I gave the delete command and after the confirmation the process started normally. Near the end I got an error about a file that could not be found (strange anyway: I didn't do anything on the folder being cleaned up) so I confirmed and I waited for the process to end.
The window never reached the "complete" state, instead, when all the files had been deleted, it stayed like that: "Cancel" button, no CPU used at all.
I hit "Cancel" and I went back to the list of duplicated files, where the duplicates were still showing up (no cleanup had been performed). I marked some more and I tried to give the "delete" command again, but every time I opened the "delete" window I got the one I previously dismissed ("cancel", everything else disabled, old amount of GB listed on top, ...).
I had to quit and now I'm performing again the scan.
therube

Re: Bug: problems with errors during delete of files

Post by therube »

Wonder if it's a permissions issue?
Or maybe you are running as a Limited users & to delete the particular files you need Administrative rights?
DV

Post by DV »

It shouldn't pop up with error messages, even if there is a problem.
What version are you using?

If a file is missing, the error log screen shows after the scan, with a message like
Delete Error: H:\Test_Data\moved\Copy (15) of SameName.txt : Invalid or missing filename.
olafmar

Post by olafmar »

No, actually I checked and that file/folder was not there at all and that
means it got correctly deleted by Duplicate Cleaner,because no other file operations were running and the folders were not system related. Strange.

Anyway, the software should not stop responding to my input! this is
the bug I want to report, not the error concerning the file/folder
deletion.
olafmar

Post by olafmar »

Hint: I read in the help files of a backup software (SyncBack, or UraniumBackup or Cobian Backup) that Explorer cannot always cope with very long pathnames (>255 chars?). You may check it, since all the folders that gave me problems were definitely VERY long.
DV

Post by DV »

Good idea about the long pathnames. Will try and test this!