DuplicateCleaner_setup (for 2.1b) DOES contain malware

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Bob

DuplicateCleaner_setup (for 2.1b) DOES contain malware

Post by Bob »

Claims that Duplicate Cleaner itself "contains no malware" may be pedantically correct but I found that's simply not true of it's setup program - despite choosing to not install the Ask toolbar when it was offered during the installation process Ask.com's installChecker.exe was run during the setup process, gained access to the internet, and transfered data from my computer without my knowledge or consent!

No big suprise that Ask.com doesn't deign to share any information about that file on it's site - do you care to share with your trusting users what get *stolen* from our computers when we run DuplicateCleaner_setup (v2.1b)?

Thanks
Bob

Re: DuplicateCleaner_setup (for 2.1b) DOES contain malware

Post by Bob »

In the light of day I'm not proud of my hot-headed insinuations of theft and "foistware" above, and I do appreciate and accept the reasoning behind bundling the toolbar with the installer, but the fact remains that, mistakenly or otherwise, a program installed with Duplicate Cleaner attempt to "call home", for whatever reason, without my knowledge or consent, and I hope you'll acknowledge and investigate the problem and take whatever steps necessary to rectify that issue. Simply disclosing it as a potential issue on the download page would certainly be a good start.

I've since had a play with your Duplicate Cleaner and it's very likeable (and indeed free of malware), it's just a pity that my experience has been soured by an issue that's likely out of your control once you signed the dotted line with Ask.com.

Should it help the system in question runs Windows 7 SP1 (x64) and the download was d/ld directly from CNET (via the link on the digitalvolcano.co.uk website).

Thanks again and good luck.
DV

Re: DuplicateCleaner_setup (for 2.1b) DOES contain malware

Post by DV »

Hi, sorry you had issues with the toolbar use.

The installer in fact has two toolbars, Bing and Ask. The one you are offered is dependent on geographical location. I think the the external ping made by the installer is probably an IP lookup to determine location, so it knows which offer to show. I was provided with the installer component, so I can't be sure, but I'm sure they would have said if there was something untoward going on.

That said I'm not complety comfortable with toolbar use as a means of revenue generation, and it is in the process of being phased out over the coming months. The Duplicate Cleaner 3.x series will have a slightly different licensing model.

hope this clears things up a bit!