Now what?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
HParks

Now what?

Post by HParks »

I downloaded and installed Duplicate Cleaner. I read and followed all instructions; them ran it. I had all duplicates placed into a seperate location just to me safe. I rebooted my computer and now have ALL KINDS of problems! Some programs try to start up over and over, I can't connect to the internet (on that particular computer), etc. :x. ! At this point I just need to restore, or unto do what I did! How do I accomplish this?! PLEASE, ANY AND ALL HELP IS NEEDED!
Zzonk

Re: Now what?

Post by Zzonk »

Duplicate Cleaner FAQ:
I have lots of duplicate files found- which ones should I delete?

As a general rule you should only delete a file if you know what it is. If you think you might need it then keep it! It is always a bad idea to delete files from your Windows and Program Files folders unless you know what you are doing.
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

Did you think of moving those files to the Recylce Bin (instead of actually deleting rightaway), so you could restore them in case anything should go wrong?

Does your computer create and have System Restore Points? You might just put the previous one back.
Myth

Post by Myth »

As a rule of thumb you should never use de-duplication software on folders containing any part of the operating system or it's configuration files.

So don't use Duplicate Cleaner for C:\, C:\Windows, C:\Program Files, C:\Users, C:\Program Data. Use it in "My Documents", "My Music", "My Pictures", "Downloads" and any other content you have deliberately stored / created that is well away from the operating system. In all cases, use it with a healthy level of caution.

As for "now what?", if System Restore didn't work I'd suggest using System File Checker (SFC) (Vista/7) (XP) and/or the repair option found on your Windows installation CD/DVD.

Edit: (FEATURE REQUEST) While this is definitely chair/keyboard interface issue rather than a problem with Duplicate Cleaner, it couldn't hurt for Duplicate Cleaner to issue some dire warning in a popup window when the user selects %systemroot%, %programdata%, %appdata%, %programfiles% etc as a search path. :)
Last edited by Myth on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
HParks

Post by HParks »

Myth,

Thanks for the suggestions! When I deleted the dup files, I saved them in a file folder, just in case. The folder has approximately 1420 files in it of different types. I just don't see how to "re-install" them. Hopefully this gives someone, if not you, an idea.

Thanks again
Myth

Post by Myth »

I suspect you can't restore the duplicate files from a single folder easily.

Ideally you would have selected the "Keep folder structure at destination" option before moving the duplicates. This creates a file structure mirroring the original location from the root up for each file moved. E.g. duplicate.txt on your desktop would be moved to <destination>\Users\<user>\Desktop\duplicate.txt .

You might be able to restore the files from Windows Backup or similar (Windows Vista and 7 are quite pushy on the backups front so there's every chance you have a recent backup). Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore > Restore my files.

At worst SFC / Repair should at least get your PC stable again.

(FEATURE REQUEST) I guess what's really needed is an undo script to be written with moved duplicates or at least a log file to indicates whats moved from where.