Crash when closing and comments

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
Daniel Powell

Crash when closing and comments

Post by Daniel Powell »

Nice program but I have some issues and comments.

When closing the application, it crashes. If I debug, the error is:
------------------------
System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

------------------------
Stack trace:

at TextCrawler.PortableSettingsProvider.SetValue(SettingsPropertyValue propVal)
at TextCrawler.PortableSettingsProvider.SetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyValueCollection propvals)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.SaveCore()
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.Save()
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.Save()
at TextCrawler.My.MySettings.AutoSaveSettings(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnShutdown()
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)
at TextCrawler.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args)

-----------

If you need me to log activity from filemon or procmon, you can e-mail me at danp[ONE][TWO][NINE] at yahoo dotcom.

Comments:
Drop down items should be able to be removed one at a time by hitting down/up arrows and pressing delete to remove the highlighted item while the drop down list is displayed.

Daniel Powell

Post by Daniel Powell »

I've also uninstalled/reinstalled the program. None of the previous searches get saved.
DV

Post by DV »

Good idea about removing the drop down items - will get that in the next version if possible.

Sounds like it having trouble writing the settings file - where are you running the program from? Installed location in program files or portably from somewhere else? Which Windows? Is it 64 bit?

The settings behaviour changes depending where the exe is located - could be the cause of the problem if there is a permissions issue.
DV

Post by DV »

Also thanks for flagging that load/save settings doesn't have proper error handling - my bad, will fix in next release!
Daniel Powell

Post by Daniel Powell »

This is WinXP x86 sp3 machine in a domain environment, and I am in the Administrators group on the box.

TextCrawler version 2.0.3822.29558 (6/19/2010) installed in "C:\Program Files\TextCrawler2"
Daniel Powell

Post by Daniel Powell »

I think I found the problem.

When I open "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\TextCrawler\TextCrawler.settings" file in Visual Studio, it gives a warning saying "Name cannot begin with the '0' character, hexadecimal value 0x30." for the line that is a tag that uses my computer name. My computer name is 051-nnn, which begins with a zero.

I would recommend prefixing any tags generated from machine/user specific information with a letter to avoid this problem.
Daniel Powell

Post by Daniel Powell »

Also, I do not get any error when closing if I delete the settings file before opening the program.
DV

Post by DV »

Thanks for finding this obscure bug! I'll add a prefix to the machine name in the xml in the next update.
Daniel Powell

Post by Daniel Powell »

Thanks a lot, it will be nice to have some search history available when I restart the program!