bug: DC2 hangs if unable to delete a _dctmp file

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Emerson

bug: DC2 hangs if unable to delete a _dctmp file

Post by Emerson »

Because the DC2 progress bar doesn't update when hardlinking files at the moment (http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/forum/v ... &topic=109), I use Sysinternals ProcMon with some filters to give myself an idea of DC2's progress.

While watching DC2's progress, I noticed that in a few cases, DC2 was unable to delete the __dctmp file it creates when hardlinking files due to folder permissions (in this case, it had created the __dctmp file in a folder with read-only permissions). DC2 gives an error window stating that DC2 was unable to delete the example.jpg__dctmp file and gave the options to quit or continue. When selecting continue DC2 hangs and makes no further progress. This can be very frustrating for when processing a long list of files (thankfully I was keeping track of the progress and was able to edit the exported CSV file I created and pick up where I left off), but for most users, it would make more sense to have DC2 simply skip the file it is having problems with and move on to the next one. You might want to implement some logic that checks that DC2 has permission to delete files in a folder and warn the user if there is a problem.

Thanks. :)
DV

Post by DV »

Thanks, I've added this to the bug list for the next update.