bug: progress bar not updating

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Emerson

bug: progress bar not updating

Post by Emerson »

When hardlinking files, whatever thread is running off to handle the hardlinking always seems to lock up DC2 and windows eventually puts a "(Not Responding)" message in the title bar. As such, the progress bar never updates until the operation completes successfully, or until some error (like DC2 being unable to delete a temp file for instance) interrupts the process.

Without a progress bar (that updates) the only indication I have that DC2 is working is the fact that DC2 is pegging one of my processor cores, and by monitoring the freespace reported on the drive I'm hardlinking files on and watching the freespace increase.

As you may have noticed from my other threads, I don't often use DC2 to delete files from large datasets (I prefer to hardlink), so I'm not sure if this same issue is occuring with file deletes. This might be another one of those issues that isn't obvious with small datasets but very obvious with large ones (like the issue with file refreshes taking so... thanks for fixing that!)

Besides the bug with the progress bar not updating, a minor usability tweak that I always find useful (particularly with processes that take a long time) are progress bars that are (or that can be toggled to be) more verbose. The option to output progress to a logfile would work as well. By this I mean displaying a count in the progress bar like current#/total# and perhaps indicating which "group" DC2 is working on. The reason I mention this is because with large datasets if DC2 crashes or you have to stop the process for some reason and resume later, a simple progress bar gives you a rough estimate of where the process stopped, but it would be great to be able to stop DC2, reload from CSV later and start up where you left off.

If you are deleting files, this is easy to do because files that completed successfully will be gone. When hardlinking files, nothing moves, so trying to resume an operation after a crash or after deliberately quitting is not possible. Being able to see that DC2 was on "group 10,000/20,00" would let you let you remove/unmark the first 9,999 and pick up where it left off without having to waste time hardlinking files that are already hardlinked.

Sorry for another really long post, I hope that all made sense. Thanks!
DV

Post by DV »

Looking into this, and other threading issues! thanks.