Pls reduce dialog confirmations

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
kiwidude

Pls reduce dialog confirmations

Post by kiwidude »

Like the program but have some suggestions...

Would be nice to reduce the number of confirmation presses when actually deleting the files.

1. Why bother keeping the "Delete, Move or Hardlink Files" dialog open, when I have chosen "Delete Files"? All my files/selections have now been deleted, nothing more I can do now but hit close, so pls just close automatically.

2. Offer a way to avoid the "About to Delete, are you sure?" popup. As a user I have already been through one level of dialog, I don't need another. If you want to be "safe" for some people, put a checkbox on the "Delete, Move..." dialog for "Prompt for confirmation of Delete" and persist this between restarts of Duplicate Cleaner.

3. After the deletion, there is yet another dialog telling me how many files were deleted. Again unnecessary. Put the information in the status bar, that is what it is for?

(My point above being I think it is too many steps to go through to delete duplicates, which is imho what 99% of the time users will want to do).

One other much desired suggestion:
- The selection assistant option to preserve paths should persist the path between restarts. You might also offer a folder browser option.

Keep up the great work.
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

3. After deletion, I think it is only correct to show the user how many files were actually deleted. There may have been errors as well, in which case the number might not be as expected.

I think it's only fair to force the user in either attending the message or at least make him have to do anything, be it only clicking it away. It's up to his own responsibility.

Status bar messages may never get the intended attention and may be overwritten by any other message unattendedly.
kiwidude

Post by kiwidude »

I take your point about errors and those having importance to tell the user about, agree entirely for that scenario. However if I have already clicked done UI actions to select rows, then click "Remove Selected", then click "Delete Files" and it does what it is supposed to - well I sure as heck don't need a meaningless count afterwards. Really, what value does a "Deleted 10 files" dialog add?

Versus only getting a dialog when it says something like "2 files failed to delete because..." or whatever.

Most professional software packages have a "Don't ask me this again" type of checkbox around deletions (heck even Windows does) - and very few I have ever seen bother with dedicating a popup dialog afterwards to tell you how many things were deleted. :-)
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

I can see your frustration with a forced action upon successfully processing your request. It's no problem to me.

Perhaps a logging feature can be added, so you can always reread what you chose, which actions were performed and what the results were.