Open Candy? :|

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Jeanie

Open Candy? :|

Post by Jeanie »

Yes I was doing a search on the best duplicate cleaner and came acrossed yours in a review...however you now apparently bundle OC with your software. Honestly if I had liked the program, I would of donated money to help keep it free. However the fact that there's OC imbedded means I will not download, I will not install, and you will not receive my business until this situation is taken care of.
therube

Post by therube »

OC has been there for a while now.
It is easy enough to de-select on install.
(I believe it does leave its' files in %TMP%. Just manually delete them.)

Since it is there, IMO it should be specifically spelled out.
As it is now, the website states, "# No Spyware, Adware or any other rubbish".

Should say, "contains open candy ... if you don't wish ... de-select on install...".
DV

Post by DV »

OpenCandy was removed a few versions ago.
OC was harmless though - it was just a system for offering related software.
The current DC has a Bing/Ask toolbar offer in it. This can be unchecked in the installer.
Unhappy

Re: Bing Spam

Post by Unhappy »

DV wrote:OpenCandy was removed a few versions ago.
OC was harmless though - it was just a system for offering related software.
The current DC has a Bing/Ask toolbar offer in it. This can be unchecked in the installer.

I unchecked it and it still installed it. You failed my review.
Buzz

Re: Open Candy? :|

Post by Buzz »

Worked ok for me.. You sure you didn't already have it installed?
Amrynel

Post by Amrynel »

Same here, unticked the toolbar checkbox, and it did NOT install the toolbar.

Perhaps "Unhappy" should double-check (pun intended). :)
Amrynel

Post by Amrynel »

Although, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=797 was interesting. Glad it's planned to get rid of the ask toolbar, I hope whatever replaces it works out.
icdeadppl4u

Post by icdeadppl4u »

It's been almost 2 years, and OpenCandy is still part of the Duplicate Cleaner Free distribution, including the latest release v3.2.1. When can we expect it to be removed?

Check out: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/pup-option ... ndy-virus/
PUP.Optional.OpenCandy it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program.

The PUP.Optional.OpenCandy infection is used to boost advertising revenue, as in the use of blackhat SEO, to inflate a site’s page ranking in search results.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The new OpenCandy has been back in DC Free since July. It's not a virus and doesn't install anything without consent. We have control over the software it offers, and have disabled anything that looks shady. We tend to stick to offering the mainstream stuff - Microsoft Bing, Ask, AVG and indie game developers.

More info here -
http://www.opencandy.com/learn-more-abo ... etections/