Problems with Merge MDB

Other bits and pieces and old stuff!
Peter

Problems with Merge MDB

Post by Peter »

When I go to merge multiple databases with the same structure the program seems to the first one and the third database skipping the second database completely even though there is data.

Can you fix this or at least do some checking i.e. query the number of row before import then append and then check that the rows have increased by the same amount.

You can contact me at peterg70 at gmail com (put the dots in)
DigitalVolcano

Post by DigitalVolcano »

There is a known problem where if the tables have a primary key, and those primary key values clash in the merge, then the records will be ignored.

A workaround -
Just before hitting the button to start the merge, open up the first access database in the list and remove the primary key on the table. Save and close it. Then start the merge.

The output merged table won't have a primary key (the first database is used as a template), so it will then accept duplicate keys in that column.

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks
DV
peter

Post by peter »

Would like to see a sumary option that shows the database name, number of rows in table, number of rows merged from table.
Will check but no primary key was setup for the databases.
The problem was it was skipping every second database when merging
Peter

Post by Peter »

Found the problem No primary key but an Auto Number field that would not accept duplicates was the issue.
Ben

Post by Ben »

This error occurs when an event has failed to run because Microsoft Office Access cannot evaluate the location of the logic for the event. For example, if the OnOpen property of a form is set to =[Field], this error occurs because Access expects a macro or event name to run when the event is fired.
(How do I resolve this?)
DV

Post by DV »