TextCrawler Pro not finding even simple matches

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
bellaonline

TextCrawler Pro not finding even simple matches

Post by bellaonline »

I've been redoing all my websites to get them into mobile-friendly templates. So I've been using TextCrawler fairly heavily. I began to get frustrated with it missing matches so I upgraded to Pro in case the free version was flawed.

Even the pro version is missing matches.

I'm not talking about complicated matches. I'm talking about:

Even just trying to find a simple string of HTML characters - with no special characters or anything - fails sometimes. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It's beyond frustrating. If I have a series of lines it won't find it. I'll search for one line and it'll find it. But maybe not the next. Even though I'm cutting and pasting right from the source text file and am super careful not to have any extra spaces anywhere.

I even tried changing around the line-enders to just CR or LF. It doesn't help. TextCrawler just can't find these matches I need to remove.

If I look just for each line in that individually it finds it without a problem.

Thoughts?

Lisa
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: TextCrawler Pro not finding even simple matches

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Sorry you are having trouble. Make sure it is not in 'Process line by line' or 'limit to lines' mode if you are searching for multiple line phrases.

The other cause for this could be mismatched line endings. Is it possible for you to attach an example of a file that doesn't work? (You could submit one via a support ticket if you don't want to attach it here publicly.

thanks
bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

Yes I am quite sure that neither the "limit to lines" nor the "process line-by-line" buttons are checked.

I"m using TextPad and in my screenshot I had turned on characters to look for issues like different line breaks. I don't see any issue like that.

Interestingly I just cut and paste a block from a non-responsive asp file into a fresh test.asp file and re-ran the search. TextCrawler *did* find the string in that new test file.

OK I will submit a support ticket.

Lisa
bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

I'll comment that the problem in this situation ended up being that each line was ending with a different kind of marker. Some were CR, some were LF, and some were CRLF. So I'm still having this issue. I can't search for a block of text if they use a mix of line endings.
woody

Post by woody »

bellaonline wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:46 pm I'll comment that the problem in this situation ended up being that each line 192.168.0.1 was ending with a different kind of marker. Some were CR, some were LF, and some were CRLF. So I'm still having this issue. I can't search for a block of text if they use a mix of line endings.
I got the same issue here. Each line was ending with a different kind of marker.