Thanks & Ideas & Thanks

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
khattab_012

Thanks & Ideas & Thanks

Post by khattab_012 »

Hello,

I would like to thank you, I've been using TextCrawler in my work for years now, and I would like to share some issues, and ideas that I'll be happy if you considered them in the future releases:

1) Arabic language support
I'm not able to search for Arabic text, I'll be happy if you added support for Intentional languages in input fields (Find & Replace).

Also, the preview doesn't show the Arabic language right, even after I configured the Font Script option to be "Arabic":

2) Edit Find/Replace Text window
I found-out that I could change "Internal Editor Line End Type" from Options, but also, I think it will be so useful to select this, when Editing the Find/Replace text, as I deal with both Unix & Windows files regularly.

3) Preview pane
the Preview pane is so useful to me, I use it always with line numbers, to find the exact line for the searched text.
I think also, it will be better, if I can copy text from it without line numbers.

4) Exclude Marked Files
Sometimes I replace text "In Marked Files Only", but I think I need more to exclude replace in marked files.

Finally, I would like to thank you more, specially for the batch commands feature, you cannot imagine how this is so effective useful to me..
Last edited by khattab_012 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Thanks & Ideas & Thanks

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Thanks, glad you are finding it useful.

It should pass the font setting straight to the preview window. It doesn't seem to save the script setting upon exit though. Hmm. Could be a Framework bug - will need to dig further.

The find and replace should support all Unicode text. Have you got some example text files to send me (along with search texts) you are having problems with?

Good idea. Version 3 does now display the current Line ending type in the multi-line editor, but you can't change it from there.

You can turn off the line numbers in Options (you probably know this), but yes a "Copy text without line numbers" option could be useful.

Thanks!
khattab_012

Post by khattab_012 »

Hello,

I got some new info.:

For testing, I've created two text files with the same text, but in different encoding: ANSI & UTF-8 without Bom , and the third .txt file contains the searched text, along with screenshots to what I get when searching in both files for Arabic & English text.

Please find them attached.

Thanks..
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Thanks for the download.

It's a complicated area - I think the issue is the difference between your local codepage ANSI characters and the Unicode ones in the files.

I think your first search phrase (ÚÑÈí) is in ANSI - which looks correct in your default Windows codepage (Arabic). It doesn't find the Unicode version in the file however. The unicode has different character numbers behind it even though it looks the same as the ANSI version on screen.
If you copy the arabic from the unicode version of the file and paste it into the search box it will find it - as the character numbers match.

Interestingly, the font for the Unicode file looks correct on my system. The ANSI one obviously looks wrong as my local codepage is Western.
arabic.png
khattab_012

Post by khattab_012 »

DigitalVolcano wrote:If you copy the arabic from the unicode version of the file and paste it into the search box it will find it - as the character numbers match.
No, I tried this also, when I copy text from utf8 files, and paste it in search box in TextCrawler, I got the same result as I type the Arabic word: TextCrawler doesn't find it unfortunately in utf8 files.

Note that this issue doesn't exist in Notepad nor Notepad++

Thanks..
khattab_012

Post by khattab_012 »

Edit: The problem exist just in UTF-8 without Bom files, which is most used in programming files like .php, .tpl

I tried to search for Arabic text in a new text file with encoding UTF8, and TextCrawler found the Arabic and showed it right as exactly in ANSI file.