Red entries in file list to denote unsuccessful replacements

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
TLDG

Red entries in file list to denote unsuccessful replacements

Post by TLDG »

I've never seen this happen in previous versions of TC:

I've been using TC to do a simple Regex replace in a folder full of files.

After confirming the replacement and the replace operation going ahead, a scroll through the filenames shows some files in red, with "0" matches. No replacements were made in these files.

What does a 'red' entry actually denote - that the file could not be accessed by the programme?

Doing replace again then picks up these files (because they contain matches that TC didn't alter the first time), and allows you to do the replacements on this second pass.

I've reverted the files in the folder and tried over and over - the 'red' files that were left out are different each time. It's usually 1 or 2 files out of a folder of around 150.

The only difference I've noted is that this happens when the files are in a network location (ie. on our work server). When I've copied the files to the C: drive, all replacements succeed the first time.

Are there known issues with using TC on files in a network location? I've used pre-3.0 versions of TC over the network thousands of times before and never encountered these 'red'/denied entries.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Red entries in file list to denote unsuccessful replacem

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The red files are where there has been an error reading the file or file does not exist.
There may be something in the log file - I'd check there.

There aren't any known issues with network drives, but connection issues or another process (anti malware) might cause this problem.