RFE: Search Paths - Status, Ignore

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
therube

Post by therube »

Since I ran into this, a suggestion for a new Search Paths Status indicator - Ignore or NUL or something like that.

So not Included & not Excluded.
IOW, it is there, listed but not affecting anything.

I typically deal with particular related directory trees when searching for dups. Depending on what I'm looking for, many times there is no relationship between one set of searches done one one day, & another set of searches done later. Though often I'll come back at a later time & repeat specific or related searches.

And since there is no "bookmarking" or "profile" like feature (& not sure that would be better even it were there), I've tended to accumulate directories in my Search Paths list. Most are excluded, but for me, they are excluded not because I don't want to search the particular tree, but excluded because they are not consequential to the particular search I'm doing. And that generally works fine, until I run into a situation like yesterday when I wasn't finding all that I was expecting (having excluded, some time ago, subdirectories of particular trees that I had intended to search in their entirety).

So, if there were an Ignore status, these directories that I'll likely come back to some time in the future can be marked IGNORED, rather then Excluded, thereby not affecting results - even when it was my own doing that caused the problem ;-).