Run Multiple Simultaneous Instances

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
therube

Run Multiple Simultaneous Instances

Post by therube »

With Duplicate Cleaner 3.0 we have lost the ability to run Run Multiple Simultaneous Instances of Duplicate Cleaner :sad:.

It would be nice to have that ability back.

Not unusual to have run a speedy generalized search which would bring up specific areas to key in on, & then to bring up another instance of Duplicate Cleaner with more specific search criteria to weed out some of those specifics. Then look for the next generalized pattern from session#1 & plug in the specifics into session#2 ...
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Run Multiple Simultaneous Instances

Post by DigitalVolcano »

This was removed due to the possibility of confusion when running two sessions. You are right that it is useful, so it will probably be re-enabled.
therube

Post by therube »

Ah, I see it is indeed back in, thanks :-).
therube

Post by therube »

So it was.
Then it wasn't.
Then it was again.

And now, AFAICT, it is not again.

Is that right?

Still think it is a beneficial feature to have.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Yes, it was removed again when the program was switched over to using a database. Currently the program isn't set up to use different database files, and running two sessions would write to the same data table, causing problems! Something to review in the next major version.
dbague

Post by dbague »

Well, the free version can be installed alongside the pro version, is it not, or it was.
would they be using the same database.
i'd use the free version for the the quick searches.

also is it possible to use old versions (major), alongside the latest? i can check and reply to my question here later....
therube

Post by therube »

Seems you should be able to run 1 instance of the Pro & 1 instance of the Free, simultaneously.

Install them into separate directories.
They name their respective databases differently; DuplicateCleaner4_Pro.data, DuplicateCleaner4_Free.data.
dbague

Post by dbague »

therube wrote:Seems you should be able to run 1 instance of the Pro & 1 instance of the Free, simultaneously.

Install them into separate directories.
They name their respective databases differently; DuplicateCleaner4_Pro.data, DuplicateCleaner4_Free.data.
I have tried this, but there seems to be a check because they can't be executing concurrently.

however, i could execute the free version sandboxed, while the pro not sandboxed (and first).
I also use different logfiles. I will examine the sandboxed paths, to see if something else might be shared.

Have you been able to use them at the same time?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

They won't run at the same time - Duplicate Cleaner from version 4.0.5 can detect all other versions running (via a Windows Mutex called 'DuplicateCleaner') and won't run itself. Versions 4.0.4 and below behaved differently and you could run differently named versions (v3, free and pro) at the same time).

I'm looking at adding a feature where if the custom database location is used (database.ini setting) - you will be allowed to run as many multiple instances as you like.
therube

Post by therube »

i could execute the free version sandboxed, while the pro not sandboxed
Ah, that's exactly what I did, & I should have known better (to check outside the sandbox)!
(I didn't have 405-free installed, so when I did, I just "naturally" installed it sandboxed, & well, that worked, but not what were looking for. [I wasn't totally sure, but now able to look, I see the date of the sandbox install coincides with my earlier reply...])