Need to know if "identical content" will pick up these files

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
3bells

Need to know if "identical content" will pick up these files

Post by 3bells »

After tacking this on to a prior topic, I realized really need an answer to this question: so it seemed best to put it under it's own topic. Hope that's OK.

When I mistakenly download images from a camera twice, do the hash values change? The file name would be different because the # on the end of the file is different. I always rename on download according to date.

If I have saved a file under a slightly changed name: such as adding -W (for "to be worked on") does that change the hash values?

I need to know before trying DC Pro so I know whether setting the search criteria to "identical content" will miss these files.

Thank you.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Need to know if "identical content" will pick up these f

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The hash values will stay the same if just downloaded, unless your camera download software is updating any tags in the images. File dates and names will not affect the hash, though bear in mind that your image software may update in internal tag- this will change the hash.

That said, Duplicate Cleaner Pro can scan in 'image mode' - this just compares the images visually and will ignore tags, sizes, file formats. It can also find rotated images and ones that have had minor edits. Try this on your images instead of Identical Content.
3bells

Post by 3bells »

Thank you. Is this where you specify how close (percent) the file needs to be? Or is it more straightforward for a newbie?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Click the 'Image mode' tab, and try this with the defaults. (Not the 'regular mode' tab)
3bells

Post by 3bells »

Thank you!