unknown Win32 error code 47c

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
primerorico

unknown Win32 error code 47c

Post by primerorico »

What does the error mean when it fails to delete a file and says the reason is "unknown Win32 error code 47c"?

A cursory Google search shows this might deal with external drives, but I'm not using one. Also, when I try to open the directory from within the DC program, it says it doesn't exist, but I can see it in Windows Explorer.

Also, I have the latest version of DC pro (as of this writing).

Any ideas? Thanks.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: unknown Win32 error code 47c

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Possibly a really long folder/file name path?
primerorico

Re: unknown Win32 error code 47c

Post by primerorico »

Yes, it seems that was the case. I figured it out shortly before you posted the response, and I've been handling it. Sorry it took so long to reply back. I just got in the "zone" I guess. I was running DC on a directory result of a hard drive recovery to weed out the duplicates that were already existing on the drive. The recovery program added a "few" more characters to the path name (because now it was in a folder on a separate drive), so apparently DC could see the files and hash them, but nothing else. Whittled 450GB of data down to 26GB (remaining mostly a few large video files) in about 3 hrs including multiple scans on varying settings.

I was kinda wondering if it was the 255 character limit to the path restriction of older systems. Is there a way to add a "feature" that would detect this in the path of the result? or even if it could "handle" the error a bit more gracefully and suggest path character limit as a cause in the log file?

This is the first minor hiccup I've had with this program. I've been using it since ver 2. The ver 3 revamp took a tiny bit to get used to, but I'm proficient now, and I LOVE the added features. This program has saved me SO MUCH TIME, it's not even funny. Thanks for all you people do on this project.