Feature / suggestion thread.

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
abrasion

Feature / suggestion thread.

Post by abrasion »

Sorry to open yet another thread but I'm going to have a lot of these (as I've mentioned in the past, I have ,... an incredible amount of messy data) I think it best I keep suggestions away from bugs (and my other, large but appreciative post)

>>Suggestion #1<<

The "Scan location" tab (whilst still choosing your data)
If you happen to spot something you'd like to investigate, sadly I can't right click on a folder here and choose "show in Windows Explorer" so I can take a deeper look (perhaps rename / delete etc) and then switch back to Duplicate cleaner.
Pretty basic one - would be handy though :)
Feel free to hook me up with alpha / beta versions as you build them, happy to test.

>>Suggestion #2/3<<
On the "Duplicate folders" tab (post scan of course) I would like to use the keyboard, downarrow to a folder and simply hit space to tag / mark it for deletion (Duplic8 style)

Furthermore, when I do mark an entire folder for deletion a box pops up prompting me to click ok and informing me how many files are selected.
I'd prefer the folder were marked, be it a triangle or a shading / colour change to represent it being selected. The pop up is not necessary and a little bit annoying.
We already have faith we have 2 copies, no need to tell me how many files are in there :)
abrasion

Re: Feature / suggestion thread.

Post by abrasion »

>>#4 Half bug / half design annoyance.<< (sorry)

"Duplicate folders tab" (post scan)
Once a folder has been marked for deletion there's no way to unmark the folder / files for deletion (at least in that view?) nor is there any indication which of the copies you marked (see suggestion 2)
(I alt tabbed, typed up all these posts then forgot which one I'd tagged and can't tell! :)
abrasion

Post by abrasion »

(Completely re-writing this post, you actually do partially have the feature I wrote about and it's amazing. Marry me you fool!!)

>>Suggestion / tweak #5<<
The 'selection assistant' on the "Duplicate files" tab (post scan of ccourse)- specifically "select by location" and allowing me to tag all files not in a certain path (preserving a path) - very awesome! but,..

I'd like to be able to either simply click on a file in a certain path to do this (right click context menu) "preserve all files in this subfolder, tag all duplicate files in other subfolders"
OR
In the least, the option to "Copy path/filename(s) to clipboard" have that exclude the file name? So I can easily copy the address and manually input it in to the "select by location" preserver tool (without having to backspacce the filename)

This preserving tool is slick, my god it's slick. This is DEFINITELY the best duplicate file tool I've ever worked with. So goddamn good!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

abrasion wrote: I'd like to be able to either simply click on a file in a certain path to do this (right click context menu) "preserve all files in this subfolder, tag all duplicate files in other subfolders"
You can already do this -
context menu->Mark->Mark all files the duplicate this folder (tree) elsewhere.

Note: Unlike the Select by location tool, this won't unmark (preserve) anything already marked in that path.
abrasion

Post by abrasion »

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
Any feedback on some of the other suggestions?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Good suggestions thanks. 1-3 are in the process of being Implemented in some form for v 3.0.5.
abrasion

Post by abrasion »

Not sure if I've dropped this one but I'd love a single hotkey to preview (default explorer association) my files.

I'm doing a comparison of images now (totally different size but same image) and it's difficult to be confident I want to delete. (Although, I will say the algorithm for the most part seems quite good)

Any quicker way to open the files or even show an autopreview in the app itself?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Tried the image preview tool? Right click or button on top menu strip. It's non modal so you can move it to the side and click through images.
HiTechHiTouch

Post by HiTechHiTouch »

DigitalVolcano wrote:Good suggestions thanks. 1-3 are in the process of being Implemented in some form for v 3.0.5.
I'm running 3.0.8, and I can't figure out how, from the "Duplicate Folders" tab, to mark a folder from the keyboard. Also, the message box appears most of the time too.

How about adding check boxes that can be toggled with the space bar, or by clicking?

Edit to add: Every time I do NOT get the message box while right click-mark folder, no marking occurred -- like my right click-mark action was ignored.
vital32

Post by vital32 »

I whnt russian language for it please reply will be or not