Hard links - do they replce the deleted files?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
megabuff

Hard links - do they replce the deleted files?

Post by megabuff »

Hi forum

if i select "create hardlinks" does that then cause all the selected files to be moved/deleted and replaced by links that are a shortcut to the remaining, undeleted file?

my intent was to move or delete the duplicate files but then i was reading about hardlinks and i thought it would do what i suggested above, but the duplicates are still there, and so i dont really know what it acheived.

i have read the tutorial and i couldnt get understanding form it. :?

thanks for you patience and help :D
therube

Re: Hard links - do they replce the deleted files?

Post by therube »

A hardlink would remove the "duplicated" space used, but the links to the file would remain.

Code: Select all

c:/file1
c:/tmp/file1
c:/tmp/work/file1
If file1 were all the same content, say 1 MB each, the three files would occupy 3 MB of disk space.

If you created links to the three, then the "file" would still exist (have a reference) to its existing locations, though would only occupy 1 MB of disk space.

(Links of various types I always understood & was comfortable with in UNIX. On the Windows end, they scare me more then anything, though I have dabbled with them, I am not really comfortable.)

Good overview, Link Shell Extension.
megabuff

Post by megabuff »

thanks for your reply.

that is what i expected to happen, however it was supposed to get rid of 35 gb of files, but the size of the folders did not change!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

I think the reported size of the folders still show the total file sizes, even though they are hardlinked. The amount of space used on the disk should go down though.
RHH1095

Post by RHH1095 »

I see the word "think" and "should". Can you explain what Hard-Links actual do on a Windows 10 computer.

I read in another post that DV will add (in release 5.0) Shortcuts to the delete/replace option. But many duplicates are business / organizational related. i.e. folder of each customer with all file ever sent to that specific customer. It would be nice to replace the 20MB brochure in each customer folder with a link to a single file/copy of that brochure.