Why still use CNET for hosting?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
bartman2589@aol.com

Why still use CNET for hosting?

Post by bartman2589@aol.com »

I don't know if you're aware of the recent changes at CNET's Download.com site or not, but now in order to download most software you have to download a 'crapware' loaded download manager that wants to install a bunch of malware/crapware on users systems before downloading the actual file a user tried to download. While they haven't as yet done this to your application, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they do. I'm urging you to submit your software to a site that does not force users to put up with that sort of thing, like perhaps Softpedia.com or some other site maybe. You make a distinct point of pointing out "This program is Free - it is the full unrestricted version and contains no malware! ", please consider taking action to ensure it does not become associated with possible malware/crapware from CNET due to their poor judgement.

Thank you for making such a great program freely available!
bartman2589
therube

Re: Why still use CNET for hosting?

Post by therube »

Example of a CNET download that has this?
(I tried a bunch, but all downloaded as expected.)

Never cared for CNET, & try to avoid them when possible.

Softpedia is good.
(They will even host files locally. US & RU "local" ;-). Not all files are hosted & don't know why some are & some not?)
As is betanews.
(AFAIK, they only use an obscured direct link to the authors website?)
bartman2589@aol.com

Try the big green "Download Now" button on this one: http://download.cnet.com/adaptec-aspi-d ... 61912.html

The above page is for the Adaptec Aspi Layer Drivers required by some CD/DVD burning software. If you click the big green 'Download Now' button like most users would you end up with a 'crapware' installer/download manager instead of directly downloading the file you wanted. I have encountered a few others but off the top of my head this is the only one I can definitely remember encountering this with.
bartman2589@aol.com

I will concede that for the time being they have a 'Direct Download Link' that seems to only download the file a user was originally trying to obtain, but I have to wonder how long it's going to be before they remove that option altogether. I do know that I'm going to go through the few freeware programs I have released (under a pseudonym that I will not disclose here), and add a clause to the licensing to prevent such tactics as I feel it opens a user up to the possibility of installing malicious software if they are not very careful or knowledgeable of the particular software the installer/download manager is trying to install on their system. And I for one certainly do not wish to be associated in any way with such tactics (by either real name or pseudonym).
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

I think it depends whether you are logged in to Cnet or not.
However, for most apps they added their installer wrapper - they did to DC, but I contacted them via a special email address (cnet-installer@cbsinteractive.com) and they removed it.
Another Dwnld K.I.A.

Post by Another Dwnld K.I.A. »

Cnet's com.com is blocked by DansGuardian therefore no download.

Sorry. You lost me.

Good day.
DV

Post by DV »