Excluding all files in on a drive from Selection Assistant

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Potentialbuyer

Excluding all files in on a drive from Selection Assistant

Post by Potentialbuyer »

I am a registered user of Duplicate Cleaner 4.14. I am trying to figure out how to exclude a specific drive from being selected in the Selection assistant.

I am comparing Photos in my main drive with photos in a USB. I want to delete all duplicates in the USB drive. Sometimes there are several. However, I am comparing thousands of photos and sometimes there are several duplicates for photos. I want to make sure no photos on my main drive are selected. I can't go through each duplicate entry and make sure the main drive isn't selected.

Is there a way to automatically deselect all files on on a particular drive from being selected in the Selection Assistant after duplicates are found? I don't want to delete any photos on my main drive.

Thanks!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Excluding all files in on a drive from Selection Assistant

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Just set the drive to 'Protected' before scanning
https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/duplic ... =&sct=MA==
Potentialbuyer

Post by Potentialbuyer »

Thanks! That's going to save me a lot of time and headaches. Great program!
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

Yes, set the internal HDD to Protected (lock icon turns red), and set the internal HDD to External Only (under the Find Duplicates column). If the internal HDD isn't set to External Only, there will be groups of duplicates within the internal HDD, which would all be protected.
Potentialbuyer

Post by Potentialbuyer »

Thanks!
Last edited by Potentialbuyer on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potentialbuyer

Post by Potentialbuyer »

Callistemon wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:14 am Yes, set the internal HDD to Protected (lock icon turns red), and set the internal HDD to External Only (under the Find Duplicates column). If the internal HDD isn't set to External Only, there will be groups of duplicates within the internal HDD, which would all be protected.
I have version 4.14 and it doesn't actually have the "Find Duplicates Column". It has "Find Unique" and "Scan Against self".

Thanks for the detailed information! I will definitely use it!
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

That was for version 5. For version 4, the internal HDD should have Protected to Yes, Master to Yes, and Scan Against Self to No.