How do Virtual Folders work ?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
ade_m

How do Virtual Folders work ?

Post by ade_m »

Hi there,

I'm trialling v5 out, and wanted to experiment with Virtual folders. I sometimes work away from my local home setup and it'd be good to be able to do some de-duping remotely but have the bulk of the scanning done before I leave the LAN.

I set it scanning some music files on my NAS, and about 2 days later the PC ground to a halt.
Basically, DC had created 15gb of files under C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Roaming\DigitalVolcano\DuplicateCleaner and filled up the C: drive.

I was expecting DC to build some kind of offline database.. but I'm not sure why it would of expanded out to 15Gb!

I've also found that the Network browser part of DC doesn't discover my local LAN at all - yet File Explorer has no problem natively, and manually typing a UNC address works fine.

I'll try with a smaller subnet of the folders. Its mostly music and Video files.

I'd be interested in knowing more about what goes into the files at AppData\Roaming\DigitalVolcano\DuplicateCleaner.
I had to delete them to get the PC stable again I'm afraid.
And is there an option to relocate that data to another location ?
ade_m

Re: How do Virtual Folders work ?

Post by ade_m »

okay.. I did just spot the "Hash" selection at the top.. so I can see I can turn off hashing.. That certainly reduces the time.
I can't actually see a way of removing a Virtual Folder once its created in the UI..

And the other questions still stand I think. Even with hashing I'm not sure how the DB/file got to 15Gb!
NBRU

Post by NBRU »

Home Page:Remove folder...
All file scan data is in the cache folder.
The Scan folder is the cache folder of each Scan and can be deleted.

You can press F1 to view the help files:
The location that Duplicate Cleaner stores its data and settings is by default in AppData\Roaming\DigitalVolcano\DuplicateCleaner\

You can change this to another path by editing the database.ini file in your Duplicate Cleaner installation folder.

Example of database.ini text file:

;Custom database path here

Path=X:\NewDatabase\
ade_m

Post by ade_m »

Ah a good old .ini file eh... thanks I'll take a look at that but I am curious as to why the cache folder got so big.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The data, caches, settings, etc are split into separate files - you should be able to work out what function is taking up the space by looking at the file sizes.