Missing features from DC5 that were available in DC4

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
AdrianL

Missing features from DC5 that were available in DC4

Post by AdrianL »

Would it be possible to bring back some features into Duplicate Cleaner 5 that were available in Duplicate Cleaner 4? The features in question are:
  • The ability to more easily filter and select duplicates by their directory/location.
  • When filtering images by their resolution, DC4 used to only select files in groups that had smaller image resolutions. Could this be brough back into DC5?
Additonally, could a marking filter be introduced so that all but the first entry in each duplicate groups are selected?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Missing features from DC5 that were available in DC4

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Does the Selection Assistant not already do this? You can 'prefer' certain files (e.g. by smaller image size).

The 'Location' style marking is now accessible by right clicking on a file and looking in the 'Mark' submenu. You can also perform this on folders down the tree using the 'Parents' submenu.
AdrianL

Post by AdrianL »

When the Selection Assistant marks certain files (e.g. by smaller image size), DC5 marks in all groups even when the group contains duplicates that are of the same resolution. I would much rather prefer the way the marking was done in DC4 whereby only the groups which had different image sizes were marked, and the groups which had the same image dimensions were left untouched. Would it be possible to re-add this as an option?

I haven't used the 'Parents' submenu feature, but in my opinion, the method which DC4 utilised, allowed for more customization. For instance, if different groups of duplicates were found in (/A/B/C/) and (/A/B/D/), I could more easily filter out duplicates in the (/A/B/) parent folder according to the DC4 method, whereas the method in DC5 requires additional steps.
Last edited by AdrianL on Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

I noticed this as well, when trying to select images with much lower resolutions. Even when set to only select one file per group, large images would be selected in any groups without the extra small images to select first.
dvandusen

Post by dvandusen »

I have only just started to use v5 and noticed some of the philosophies that have changed since v4. I think this kind of change is often hard on customers, but if done well could be really great even for the more stubborn users.

Here the issues I see (things that changed) are the production of csv files (the manual does not really say that a generation of a csv file will come at the end of the run - and I can't figure it out because v5 broke on me - won't show a UI, but anyway - broke right after MS decided to update and clobbered a long job). I think the csv is very helpful because I am running DC on about 11,000,000 files and 600,000 folders to pick up the pieces of several projects. I will be putting them into MySQL and generate stuff out so that I can pick proper subtrees for various projects and then compare those subtrees. I've been using DC for about 9 years and it has gotten ever closer to what I need, but there was this hiccup on DC5 vs DC4. I am very hopeful that the virtual folder stuff will allow me to do this in a more piecemeal fashion. It is difficult to know which functions will cohere into a good workflow.

I will watch this chain!

D
greatzot

Post by greatzot »

AdrianL wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:46 pm When the Selection Assistant marks certain files (e.g. by smaller image size), DC5 marks in all groups even when the group contains duplicates that are of the same resolution. I would much rather prefer the way the marking was done in DC4 whereby only the groups which had different image sizes were marked, and the groups which had the same image dimensions were left untouched. Would it be possible to re-add this as an option?

I haven't used the 'Parents' submenu feature, but in my opinion, the method which DC4 utilised, allowed for more customization. For instance, if different groups of duplicates were found in (/A/B/C/) and (/A/B/D/), I could more easily filter out duplicates in the (/A/B/) parent folder according to the DC4 method, whereas the method in DC5 requires additional steps.
I agree. This is part of why I keep Duplicate Cleaner 4 Free on my machine even though I have the full Duplicate Cleaner 5. I actually even hesitated to buy version 5 partly because of this, and because I thought the interface was putting graphic design over function, presumably trying to look like other modern mobile interfaces rather than what might work fastest for a PC.
maniacbone

Post by maniacbone »

AdrianL wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:32 pm When filtering images by their resolution, DC4 used to only select files in groups that had smaller image resolutions. Could this be brough back into DC5?
Exactly one of my downsides for version 5.... i always end up selecting at least 1 file in each group even if its the same resolution as the other results in the same group...
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

DC5.14 has a new Selection Assistant 'Mark by group' mode called 'All but one matching set in each group' with will work in the same way as largest/smallest selection modes in DC4

E.g.
Mark by group->All but one matching set in each group.
->Preferring: Image - Smallest Image dimensions.

group 1
200x200
100x100 --Marked
50x50 --Marked

group 2 (nothing marked)
300x300
300x300