V5 audio scan results less than V4

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
kbs

V5 audio scan results less than V4

Post by kbs »

I'm running V5 and V4 in tandem while I get to grips with V5. When deduping a subset of my audio collection using the 'First 2 minutes' option, V4 identified many dupes but V5 found none. This might be due to setting withing V5 that I haven't discovered - I haven't tweaked it yet. Any suggestions?

I had previously run the 'Audio data only' scan, which identified matches that V4 didn't(!). I then deleted the V5 caches in case the program had stored the 'all data' hashes and might have been using them instead of rehashing the 2 min section. Same result...

Are different hashes created for different audio scan types? Or does the 'first x' time period use a different matching method?

Cheers, Keith
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: V5 audio scan results less than V4

Post by DigitalVolcano »

They should have different caches - will need to check this though.
kbs

Post by kbs »

I tried again. What is happening is that only duplicates with the same bit rate are identified in V5, where V4 identifies duplicates with different bit rates (MP3) and also duplicates between MP3 and FLAC. V5 seems to ignore these. I'm using the 'first 2 mins' audio option.
I have exports from both with checksum values if that will help you debug.
Regards,
Keith
kbs

Post by kbs »

... and more weirdly V5 seems to drop any (1st 2 minute) duplicate groups containing .ape files. If I have mp3, flac and ape files of the same (similar - different source) track, V5 will not show the dupe, but will if there are only mp3 and flac variants. V5 only shows mp3 dupes with the same bit rate. Similarity shows them all.
I'll do some testing with identical tracks in different formats and will report back after the weekend.

Update - details submitted as a ticket.
Album of APE files converted to MP3 and FLAC. V4 lists MP3/FLAC dupes. V5 only lists groups which don't have APE file dupes, and doesn't show APE files in pie chart analysis.

I'll also retry with differing MP3 bitrates...

Adding another MP3 copy with a different bit rate showed up in V4, but V5 only showed the 2 MP3 copies, and dropped the 'identical' FLAC file. These MP3 matches showed up in groups that were previously missing due to having 'identical' APE members which for some reason caused V5 to ignore the group.
bsacco

Post by bsacco »

did you solve this issue because I' looking to buy this program and if is failing to find duplicates I'm going to take a pass. Let me know.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The APE support is partially fixed - MP3, etc should be fine though