V5 Audio comparison

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
kbs

V5 Audio comparison

Post by kbs »

Like others I have only just discovered V5 is available, and have upgraded...

I have a large music collection which I am deduping. I use the 'First 2 mins' comparison. I had done a comparison with V4, so hashes were created. There is no instruction as to how these exisiting hashes can be picked up by V5, which has just completed the initial run through (in a daya and a half...).
It is now embarking on the comparisons, and may complete before Christmas.
In V4 there was a 'scan against self' option which seems to have diasappeared - this will presumably add to the processing time as I have several folder trees which have already been individually deduped.
What music deduping optimisation tips are available?

BTW I also use Similarity - which is similar(!) but different (and very fast, using the GPU), and I find the two applications complement each other.
I am using a somewhat elderly AMD FX6300 with RAIDed SSDs for fast disk access. A CPU/MB upgrade is on Santa's list.
therube

Re: V5 Audio comparison

Post by therube »

In V4 there was a 'scan against self' option which seems to have diasappeared
On the 'Scan location' tab, the box with the dropdown icon, affords various scan options:
No - No files from this folder will be matched as duplicates, though they may be shown in the Remaining files tab if 'Show remaining' is set.

Yes - All files in this folder are scanned for duplicates, both inside and outside this folder.

Master - The folder is a master folder (files in other folders must match it - see below), and all files in this folder are scanned for duplicates, both inside and outside this folder.

External only - Files in this folder (and optionally subfolders) will only be matched with files outside this folder. Duplicates which only exist inside this folder won't be considered. (Don't scan against self)

External only + Master - The folder is a master folder and will only match with files outside this folder. This is the above two settings combined.

Internal only - Files in this folder (and optionally subfolders) will only match with other files in this folder. (Even if the other folder is set as External only)

Master folders

When an input folder is set to Master, files in other non-master folders which do not match files in the master are ignored in the scan. This way you can check for files which specifically duplicate a certain folder or drive.
kbs

Post by kbs »

Thanks for the explanation of the Find Duplicates' dropdown options - I find the V5 options less intuitive than the V4!
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

Scan Against Self of Yes = Yes
Scan Against Self of No = External Only
Scan Against Self of Yes and Master = Master
Scan Against Self of No and Master = External Only + Master

Selecting Master for some folders is equivalent to moving all other folders into a single container and then adding the outer container as External Only. In that case, the outer container will not scan against self, so duplicates will not be found between the subfolders that would be considered external if listed individually. Master is simply External Only taken to another level, without the need to temporarily restructure folders. No and Internal Only are new options without an equivalent in Version 4.