download Duplicate Cleaner 5 64-bits

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
mariannevanharten

download Duplicate Cleaner 5 64-bits

Post by mariannevanharten »

Where can I find a 64 bit version of Duplicate Cleaner 5?

Best regards,
Marianne
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: download Duplicate Cleaner 5 64-bits

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It should run in 64 bit if you have a 64 bit Windows environment - check Settings->About and it'll say next to the program name.
mariannevanharten

Post by mariannevanharten »

I have a computer running Windows 11 64 bits, but when I am installing Duplicate Cleaner, the setup tells me to install it in
C:\Program Files (x86)
instead of
C:\Program Files

I think Digital Volcano should provide a 64 bit version of the application.

Best regards,
Marianne
therube

Post by therube »

check Settings->About
What does the above say?

Where a program installs to, may not necessarily coincide with its bitness.

(For various reasons a 64-bit program may end up in a "32-bit" directory [which is actually kind of meaningless], like sometimes if a 32-bit version were installed previously, the 64-bit version may install overtop of that even if it is in the "wrong" place.)

You can also check Windows Task Manager | Processes.
(I'm guessing in Win11) that 32-bit processes will be flagged with " *32" after the process name (& in the case of 'Duplicate Cleaner 5.exe' it will not have that.)
therube

Post by therube »

Heh... And while we're here...

With a "casual" look, like if one were to look at "Duplicate Cleaner 5.exe" it appears to be a 32-bit executable (0x014C (Intel x86)) & if you look at some of the other .dll's, similar can be seen.

Now I'm aware of how a "stub" (32-bit) .exe can call (& you end up running) a 64-bit process, but in this case there is more too it then that.

Is it that the the single .exe (or .dll) is "packed", i.e., is contains actually both the 32 & 64-bit code & depending on OS one branch or the other is followed, or... ?

?
Yes, it is a .NET app. In .NET, if it isn't precompiled, you can either target "x86" or "AnyCPU". "x86" will always run as 32 bit, but AnyCPU will run as 64bit on a 64 bit system, but as 32 bit on a 32 bit system.
Even an executable marked as 32-bit can run as 64-bit if, for example, it's a .NET executable that can run as 32- or 64-bit. For more information see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/378 ... -or-64-bit, which has an answer that says that the CORFLAGS utility can be used to determine how a .NET application will run.
https://superuser.com/questions/358434/ ... on-windows
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It's an AnyCPU program (32 or 64 bits depending on system) but it installs in the x86 folder.