Finding unique files between partitions

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Callistemon

Finding unique files between partitions

Post by Callistemon »

This software provides several options for finding duplicates, but only allows unique files to be found within each directory on the list. Duplicates can be found between directories that are added to the list, but unique files can only be found within each directory that is added to the search list, even when there are multiple directories added to the list. It does not allow searching for unique files between the listed directories or partitions. Since different external HDDs can only be listed separately, there is no way to search for unique files between the two external HDDs, and only unique files within each external HDD is displayed. The only work around is to copy the files of one disk to a third external HDD, and then delete duplicates between the first two HDDs to reveal the unique files.
Last edited by Callistemon on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xent

Re: Finding unique files between partitions

Post by Xent »

Yeah this function would be greate.
When I want to find out if I copied all photos to my nas I want to get all uniqe files that are not in my "master" folder, regardles if there are duplicates in an other folder than the master.

For example file A.jpeg is not in C:\Photos
But i have duplicates of this file on my USB drive maybe in
E:\Backup\A.jpeg
E:\FilesToPrint\...A.jpeg

I want that file A.jpeg is listed as uniqe or something like "missing in master folder"
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Doesn't setting 'don't scan against self' help?

See-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbYFB5w ... e=youtu.be
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

DigitalVolcano wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:38 pm Doesn't setting 'don't scan against self' help?

See-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbYFB5w ... e=youtu.be
There are plenty of advanced options for duplicates, but there is no way to find unique files between partitions. I tested by placing a folder filled with files on two separate disks, and it displayed everything as unique since each disk's copy of that folder contained no duplicates within, despite everything being duplicated (not unique) between the two disks.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

. I tested by placing a folder filled with files on two separate disks, and it displayed everything as unique since each disk's copy of that folder contained no duplicates within, despite everything being duplicated (not unique) between the two disks.
In this case, you need to 'scan against self' set to 'No'. Otherwise the duplicates appear as unique.
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

DigitalVolcano wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:28 am
. I tested by placing a folder filled with files on two separate disks, and it displayed everything as unique since each disk's copy of that folder contained no duplicates within, despite everything being duplicated (not unique) between the two disks.
In this case, you need to 'scan against self' set to 'No'. Otherwise the duplicates appear as unique.
I just tried it again, and even with both folders listed with neither scanning against self, it still shows the files as unique even though they are duplicated between the folders to search, just because they are unique within each folder listed to scan.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

In this case, you need to 'scan against self' set to 'No'
Sorry, this should have been set to 'Yes'. My mistake!

Scan against self - No = Any duplicates within this folder only are shown in the uniques tab
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

DigitalVolcano wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:10 am
In this case, you need to 'scan against self' set to 'No'
Sorry, this should have been set to 'Yes'. My mistake!

Scan against self - No = Any duplicates within this folder only are shown in the uniques tab
Well, that works, but it is sort of confusing when one would expect it to be the reverse. If it does not scan against self, then it does not find duplicates within each listing. If it does not scan against self, then it shouldn't find unique files within each listing either.
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

In Version 5, Scan Against Self is set to No for unique files to be found only between partitions. That is better, but either way forces the unique scanning mode to be dependent on the duplicate scanning mode. This does not matter when the scan will only be used for the unique list, but often, there are two disks where the user may want to scan within the disks for duplicates and scan between the disks for unique files, both during the same scan. This is not possible without running the scan twice, once for internal duplicate, and again for external unique.

The unique/remaining search mode should have an independent dropdown instead of relying on the mode dropdown for duplicate scanning. It is necessary to experiment with the duplicate modes multiple times to find the correct mode for the intended unique output. Even with Scan Against Self set to No, files are not reported as unique between partitions if the file is found on one of the partitions at least twice. Setting the duplicate dropdown to master on one of the partitions will show all unique files even if they are found on the other partition twice, but ideally the user shouldn't need to scan for duplicates in any mode to change the mode that unique files are found.