Feature request: Paste a list of multiple scan locations at once.

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
wwcanoer

Feature request: Paste a list of multiple scan locations at once.

Post by wwcanoer »

Feature request #1: Paste a list of multiple scan locations at once.
I would like to paste a list of directories instead of copy paste one at a time.

My process #1:
- Scan my drive with WinCatalog
- Search for a keyword, such as "DCIM". (WinCatalog search is now very fast!).
- Individually copy and paste the directories into Duplicate Cleaner Pro. (I'd like to paste all dirs at once.)
- Run the compare.

My process #2 for when there's a long list of search results:
- As above, but I paste the results into excel and run a macro to move all of those "DCIM" folders into one consolidated "DCIM" folder and then run Duplicate Cleaner Pro on that folder.

Related Feature Request #2:
Now that ver. 5 can store scans in a virtual folder, please include a search function.
i.e. In the Scan Location > Available Folders directory tree, add a search box that can search and return a list of the folders that contain a keyword, such as "DCIM" and then each of those can be added to the search. Ideally, include "starts with, contains, etc. " selection.

I'm also using JamSoftware's SpaceObsServer Trial to identify "Similar Folders". This way I can find folders that are 80% similar, based on filename or MD5. But it doesn't have a good way to sort the list or a good method to take action to de-duplicate or consolidate them. So I export that list to excel, use a pivot table to determine the largest groups, and then select directories to cut and paste into Duplicate Cleaner Pro for analysis. (Or sometimes I'll merge folders with Syncovery.)

(I'm consolidating old backups from decades of different computers.)
wwcanoer

Re: Feature request: Paste a list of multiple scan locations at once.

Post by wwcanoer »

Silly me, why don't I use the command line for that?! I haven't tried the Duplicate Cleaner command line yet. but could pass my list of folders from Excel to Duplcate Cleaner via the command line. (Although I would still like to have the ability to paste a list.)
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Paste a list of multiple scan locations at once.

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Pasting multiple paths via clipboard text into the 'Folders to search' is now in v5. You can also paste from Excel and Windows Explorer.
Right-click context menu or ctrl-V