"Copy" problem, or ...?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
brjohan

"Copy" problem, or ...?

Post by brjohan »

After 150 hours of work, my first real use of Duplicate Cleaner Pro found duplicate photos from within two volumes. One 8TB USB3-disk and a large NAS-mounted volume. After marking one file from each group, DCP found 152575 marks. In "File removal..." I from "Move or copy files" selected "Keep folder structure ..." and allowed the default selection of "Via Windows shell" to remain. I also selected an empty folder on the same NAS folder to which I want the copies to be located.

Then I clicked on "Copy files" and waited for some kind of response. After a few minutes I (from another computer) checked if some copies had been transferred, but found nothing. Still after half an hour nothing has been copied.

I again clicked "Copy files". In the header line of the "File removal ..." window I noticed the message "Not responding ...".

Is DCP preparing for the copying?
Should I have deselected "via Windows shell" (The online manual does not describe this option)?
How long should I wait for some copying to occur?
Did I do something wrong?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: "Copy" problem, or ...?

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It's preparing to copy - it sends the files to Windows (explorer shell) so it can be slow. You may see a small progress bar near the top of the Window. Eventually the familiar Windows Copy progress dialog should pop up with estimates, etc.

Unchecking 'via shell' causes the program to process files directly. It can be faster to get started but may be slower overall when the file lists are large.
brjohan

Re: "Copy" problem, or ...?

Post by brjohan »

Thanks!

After a little more than one hour an a half. the ordinary Explorer Copying window appeared, so copying is underway.

Some immediate and visible response to my "Copy files" click, would have been desired ...