Feature Request: Facial Recognition (no, really!)

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Acura Photos

Feature Request: Facial Recognition (no, really!)

Post by Acura Photos »

Please consider adding facial recognition to DFC.
What I want to do looks like this:

I have thousands of photos spread across hundreds of folders.
I want to organize all photos into folders with the actor's name by face. For instance:

./Bobby
./Debbie
./Ray
./Sally
./Random Mix

I want to locate all occurrences of 'bobby' in 'random mix' and MOVE them to ./Bobby.
Obviously there should be a mark/select/preview like you have now for Delete/Move.

Other notes: I currently use Picasa for this, but it has serious short comings that make this process 'very difficult' for large numbers of matches.
Primarily, when Picasa shows you likely matches, you cannot drag those matches directly to the folder you want! You must right click 'locate in Picasa'. You are then taken away form the list of possible matches to the folder that contains the matched image. At this point you can drag the image to the appropriate folder.

This is okay if you have a dozen or so images, but when you have a 100+K photos with thousands of matches, the system becomes unusable.

A little research shows that there is source code available for facial recognition. One such example is the GaussianFace recognition software available on GetHub https://github.com/jangerritharms/GaussianFace

Anyway, I could use this feature today and i am sure there are many others that would find this useful as well.

Thank you,
AP

PS. Training: There is a reasonable and easy way to bootstrap the recognition metrics.
You could point DFC to for instance the .\Bobby folder and say 'this is bobby'. Now go find more "Bobby" elsewhere.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Facial Recognition (no, really!)

Post by DigitalVolcano »

I know it's late replying to this but you may be able to use Picasa to save the person's name in the Keyword tags. The next update of DC will be able to read the Keyword metadata field so you can filter on it.

From another forum
Basically, once you've created all your name tags in Picasa, you go to each individual's page and select all the photos. Select the tag field and then create a tag based on that person's name. This is then saved to file's EXIF information and can be read...
Update: Just tried this and it works!
greatzot

Re: Feature Request: Facial Recognition (no, really!)

Post by greatzot »

DigitalVolcano wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:47 pm I know it's late replying to this but you may be able to use Picasa to save the person's name in the Keyword tags. The next update of DC will be able to read the Keyword metadata field so you can filter on it.

From another forum
Basically, once you've created all your name tags in Picasa, you go to each individual's page and select all the photos. Select the tag field and then create a tag based on that person's name. This is then saved to file's EXIF information and can be read...
Update: Just tried this and it works!
When is this update coming? A way to filter or mark by metadata tags is what I was looking for just now. Would be particularly good if it's not limited to a specific stock set of tags, but rather allowing you to look for something in both the tag ID or name and its value, since there's quite a lot of variation between different photo and video sources. E.g. on the videos I'm looking at right now it seems the Encoded date or Format would be the easiest to filter or mark by...but there are also two fields showing as "Format" in the Image preview, with different values (one says MPEG-4, one says AVC) so it's not clear how those tags are identified in the metadata.