Swap File Names Then Delete?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
oemurray

Swap File Names Then Delete?

Post by oemurray »

So im dealing with a bunch of duplicate images from all sorts of sources and years worth of photos... anyway some are in the right location but are still named things like IMG_1234.JPG, while others are in the wrong location like '\Images To Sort' but Ive given them a meaningful name.

I know you can mass append prefixes and suffixes, and you can rename individual files, but is there anyway to automate this so that I can end up with the properly named file in the right location?
therube

Re: Swap File Names Then Delete?

Post by therube »

I'm thinking, that more then anything, it's going to depend on how your directories are laid out.

If there are only two, /images to sort/ & /sorted images/
& to sort has the "correct" names & sorted has IMG names
then it's a simple matter to scan the two directories, setting each to NOT 'Scan Against Self'
then any IMG dups found in /sorted images/ can be deleted, & the associated correctly named images from /images to sort/ simply moved over to /sorted images/.

If your /sorted images/ are in more diverse directories, then things will be more difficult... ?
oemurray

Re: Swap File Names Then Delete?

Post by oemurray »

Yeah ive pretty much given up and just use the copy paste option to stick the files in a renamer program