How to choose a base folder?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
spdivr

How to choose a base folder?

Post by spdivr »

Hello, I have consolidated a bunch of old files onto one hard drive and there are a lot of duplicates. It will take me forever to go through them all, even with the software.
What I would like to do is have every duplicate that is in one particular folder and it's subfolders be deleted, leaving one copy in the primary folder.
Part of my trouble, aside from not being sure how to do this, is that my folder structure has the folder with expected copies\(losts of subfolders and copies) is on the same root partition as all the other folders and files that I want to compare against. So everything is on D:\ including the copies folder with subfolders.
Any help is really appreciated.
therube

Re: How to choose a base folder?

Post by therube »

In 'Scan Location' look at the 'Scan Against Self' option.
Thinking with that, you should be able to get something to work for you.

(You really didn't provide enough information on your directory layouts...

But... if you had:

d:/lots of subfolders that probably have dups/
&
d:/the directory tree that i want to keep/

Set both to NOT 'Scan Against Self'
then run your scan
& with that then any dups that turn up within /lots of subfolders that probably have dups/
are duplicated against /the directory tree that i want to keep/
so you should be OK to delete those dups from the /lots of subfolders that probably have dups/ directorly.)

Set up a couple directories within each directory tree to get a feel for what you're doing.
you could set d:/the directory tree that i want to keep/ to NOT 'Scan Against Self'
& then any dups that
spdivr

Re: How to choose a base folder?

Post by spdivr »

Thanks! I'll take a look at that.