Feature request: Graceful shutdown on reboot

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
cstern

Feature request: Graceful shutdown on reboot

Post by cstern »

I have a very large collection of images (+1.000.000) which takes literally days to scan. Sometimes (quite often it seems) Windows reboots the machine at night because it has decided new OS updates need to be installed. I use a separate server for image handling, so I am not actively watching what goes on all the time.
When the system comes back online, the duplicate scan is obviously aborted and everything has to be restarted from scratch.
If this happens after 5 days of scanning, it is very frustrating.

I would like to suggest, that in the event of a system reboot, DC should gracefully shutdown and save the state of the search. Next time DC is started the user should be prompted if he or she wants to resume the search which was aborted, or start over.

I don't know if it is possible, but it will save a lot of frustrations.

Thanks.

I will sign up for the beta btw

Claus
therube

Re: Feature request: Graceful shutdown on reboot

Post by therube »

(I gather this is Win10, heh.
I'm not really familiar with 10, but there should be ways, utilities or otherwise, to tell 10 to wait until you are ready to have an update installed, rather then some willy-nilly [& inappropriate] time that Windows decides.)
cstern

Re: Feature request: Graceful shutdown on reboot

Post by cstern »

Windows is very stubborn on the forced reboot thing. You can tinker with some obscure setting to postpone 30 days. But after that there is no way you can avoid the system from rebooting. I have done it once, but was annoyed that the hack could not be used again until after the update and reboot. (Sorry cannot remember how it was done - check google for "prevent reboot windows 10")

I think if you are on a managed system (e.g. in a corporate setting), the IT department can deploy settings that prevent Windows from updating and/or rebooting.

My longest DC4 scan was 17 days (yes!) and fortunately, the system did not reboot before it was done. In another occasion the system rebooted over night after few days, as I did not remember we passed the first Tuesday of a month.