Hash calculation failed - how to retry

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
zorrozork

Hash calculation failed - how to retry

Post by zorrozork »

I noticed that some files were reported as unique (I was doing a drive comparison) but their hash values are shown as -1 (see the picture below).

Those files are located on my NAS and it is possible that the hash calculation has failed due to a network error, especially because it takes a long time to calculate hashes for those huge files.

I tried to do the scan again but it's not updating the hashes, probably because they have already been stored at the hash cache. I know there's an option to clear the cache but then I would lose ALL the hashes and it would take even longer time to recalculate them.

So is there any way I could somehow invalidate the incorrect hashes and recalculate only them? As a workaround I can fool the scanner by renaming the files but of course that is a bit awkward.

I think it would also make sense that when an error happens during the hash calculation it would not be stored at the hash cache, and some information about any errors during the scan would also be useful in the scanning window.

I have been very pleased with the product so far, I believe it's the best in its class. Thanks!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Hash calculation failed - how to retry

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Sorry I can't think of a way without renaming/modifying the file or deleting the cache. I'll check about the -1 hashes - that means there was an issue reading the file, but it shouldn't go into the cache.
leblancj

Post by leblancj »

I have a similar issue with hash calculations. Sometimes the hash field is blank and sometimes it has "-1". I've opened two files in Word to see if they open properly (they do). One has a hash value and one does not. DCP has only calculated hashes for a handful of hashes in these folders. How can it be set to calculate hashes for all files?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjyuy85lm06jl ... h.png?dl=0
therube

Post by therube »

What hash algorithm are you using?
If you switch to another, say from MD5 to SHA1, do the hashes then turn up?
And if you then switch back to your original, does that method still fail?

(I'm not recommending that to the OP.)