Version 5? Webp, hdp, heic, jfif support?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
wolfman6a

Version 5? Webp, hdp, heic, jfif support?

Post by wolfman6a »

Any idea when version 5 will be released? Webp, hdp, heic and other image formats are becoming more prevalent. I have 4000 in one folder and I know some are duplicates, but with different names and different sizes, so I'd like to be able to delete the duplicates with Duplicate Cleaner, but it does not recognize them as of now, so I have to manually hunt and check them, which is annoying!

Thanks
therube

Re: Version 5? Webp, hdp, heic, jfif support?

Post by therube »

Are these exact duplicates or are these "picture" duplicates?

If the exact, a same content search will find them (& should be quicker too).
JamesMatthew

Post by JamesMatthew »

Wolfman said they're not same size, so I'm afraid an exact content search won't be of much help.
I'm not aware of how heic and the others handle the pixels, but I don't think that the compression is persistent enough that a similar content search would do any good too.
I'm in the same situation: 38000 heic images waiting for (visual) deduplication :D

I'm therefore also really looking forward to version 5 and would be grateful for any updates on a possible release.
It's no problem for me to wait, we all want a well functioning program after all, but the radio silence is becoming a bit emaciating with the months ticking by. Just some monthly updates on what's being worked on would be really cool!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It's still actively underway! I really hope to get a video up soon, followed by the release of an early access beta, open to all. Development has taken a long time as almost everything has been rebuilt.

Recent screen-shot (twitter)
https://twitter.com/DigVolSoft/status/1 ... 5275177984
JamesMatthew

Post by JamesMatthew »

Very cool to see, looks great!
And the addition of xxhash is highly appreciated! That's one of the things I had hoped for since the beginning because hashing in general could be called one of my passions - though I must say I don't frequently run into bottlenecks because of it as my data is mostly stored remotely :D
wolfman6a

Feature Request

Post by wolfman6a »

I've been testing version 5 beta, and so far great.

I'd like to request a feature.

I've been using a program called Visipics for over 10 years. They stopped supporting it about 8 years ago, but it still works in Windows 10.

It automatically displays a thumbnail of every picture it finds as a duplicate, but doesn't display much information, which is not a big deal.

What it does do, that I find particularly nice, is you can mark the thumbnails that you want to "ignore". This puts a big green X over the thumbnail and you can save it to a file called ignores.ini. That way, if you do a search and it finds this picture again, it displays the thumbnail with the big green X over it, so you know that this was a file that maybe you want to keep. Sometimes as you loosen the criteria percentages, there may be files that have close duplicates that you want to keep. You can then have those marked as "ignores", but it will still compare them to new files in case there are duplicates, but it flags you to know that you want to keep these files. Sometimes it will have a whole row of 5 or more, that might be slightly different and all 5 will show up as ignores in a future search.

Just a nice little feature that helps you go through the duplicates a little faster when ones you wanted to keep keep coming up in new searches.

If you'd like a copy of the program, I don't think it will hurt to send you one in email, a small file, since it's out of print, so to speak.

Thanks!
albesp77

Post by albesp77 »

sorry to reply only now to this old post, but on official website i still no notice support for jfif image format that is the only condition for me to buy this software, any updates ? i have thousand of jfif image in a lot of folder and surely have a huge number of duplicates that i cannot compare with a simple hash. thanks.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It does support JFIF files in image mode. It was added in one of the recent updates though I don't think it is listed in the changelog.
albesp77

Post by albesp77 »

big thanks, i'll test as soon as possible before buy a license