Read-Only files don't delete

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Martin

Read-Only files don't delete

Post by Martin »

Is this the intended behavior? Reports 'Access to the path ... denied' in the log.
DV

Post by DV »

Yep, to be fixed in next update.
frwi1958

Re: Read-Only files don't delete

Post by frwi1958 »

I'm running Duplicate Cleaner Free version 3.2.1 on a Windows 7 (64-bit) system, but it still don't delete read-only files.
Did I miss an option to enable that?

Message of one of the hundreds of files
Delete Error: H:\Setup\...\02 Chipset\9.3.0.1021\Help.txt : Access to the path 'H:\Setup\...\02 Chipset\9.3.0.1021\Help.txt' is denied.

Many thanks in advance. It's a great tool.

Kind regards,
Free Willy
therube

Post by therube »

Going to suspect that in your case it is a permissions issue rather then an read-only issue.

Try running Duplicate Cleaner "Run as... Administrator"?
Or check the permissions to the affected directories/files, giving yourself access if need be.
frwi1958

Post by frwi1958 »

A permission problem was also my first guess, but it wasn't.
I checked the option for exe and dll files, which was not marked/enabled.
First I tried to give me ownership and full access with the Windows tool, which failed due to a corrupted Recycle Bin.
Then I used the commands takeown and cacls to set the right permissions. Still no success with the Duplicate Cleaner.
Then I started the Duplicate Cleaner in Administrator mode. Again no success.
Finally I unmarked the readonly bit. Voila it worked. That's for me the proof that the readonly flag was blocking.
Exactly I first marked two files for deletion, both in the same directory, both with the same owner (me) and permission (full access). One with the readonly flag on and the other with that flag off. The Duplicate Cleaner only deleted the file with the readonly flag off.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Done some more testing this end. It deletes read-only to the recycle bin, but not with the Recycle bin option unchecked. This was fixed in an earlier version, but subsequent changes seem to have introduced the problem back in!

I've added this to the priority fix list.
Damon

Post by Damon »

Like the original poster, I am having trouble with file deletion. Also like them, i have tried all of the troubleshooting steps suggested in prior support threads, and this one (check DC options, file permissions, unset read only, run as admin, etc.). To clarify, I can delete these files manually from Windows Explorer, one at a time - but that defeats the purpose of Duplicate Cleaner.

Then I noticed in this thread:
This was fixed in an earlier version, but subsequent changes seem to have introduced the problem back in!
I have used every combination of the checkboxes on the file removal popup - nothing works.
therube

Post by therube »

Do some of the files delete through DC or none at all?

Does your DC Log show anything of interest?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Also, try changing the status of the 'Via windows shell' option