Similar Image Search Failure

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
rensom

Similar Image Search Failure

Post by rensom »

I accidentally took photos of an old photo album twice. I used a glass cover with obtuse angle light on both occasions, so the images are remarkably similar, but were taken at on different dates and the exposure/lighting conditions would have varied slightly.

I thought that this would be an excellent test for the Similar Image Search

I searched for duplicates in Image Mode (approximately 200 images, 100 from each session in different folders) with no other restrictions than similarity and ran it at all of the settings (Exact Match to Loose). I also ran it on Custom at 90, 80, 70 and 60.

I was amazed that only a few (less then 5) duplicates were identified. I was even more amazed that a couple of the duplicates that were identified were not even of the same pages in the old photo album.

Is the Similar Image search really that bad, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for you thoughts.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Similar Image Search Failure

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The similar image mode generally needs the images to be framed and cropped in a fairly closely matching way, otherwise it may not pick up the similarity. If set too loose, the match may not be accurate enough (it doesn't take colour into account).

Feel free to post a couple of test image to support (if you don't want them public) and I will take a look!
https://digvolsoft.freshdesk.com/