AUDIO COMPARE - not correct - sadly

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
maniacbone

AUDIO COMPARE - not correct - sadly

Post by maniacbone »

Dear Team,

i used the audio compare section to de-dupe my mp3 collection and i chose the "Match exact audio data" method, thinking this will only AND ONLY check the real audio and match it... now, after deleting Gigabytes of mp3s because it looked like the software did its job correct i stumpled on 5 files in m4a format.... these 5 files are shown as dupes of one group...but they are definately not the same...its actually 5 of 5 files from a maxi cd so its different versions of the song.... as i have selected a method that does not look up the tags but only the audio i asume this false positive has to do with the fact that these are m4a files and the software interpreted all 5 files wrong, thinking the are all the same... still if this would be the case then every m4a file should be the same but the software distinguishes other files.... so what i know now is that i can not trust the results and therefore wont use the software for audio dupes anymore (and also i am paniking that i might have deleted files that also were false positives)

Do you have an explanation for that ? the Search method implies that there must be a 100% AUDIO match in order to show files as dupes....correct ? so even quality differences (even the ones hardly noticable to human ears) should result in different audio hashes.... how come 5 totally different songs in one folder get the same audio hash ?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: AUDIO COMPARE - not correct - sadly

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Sorry you had trouble - is it possible for you to open a support ticket and attach a couple of the files in question (different songs, same group) for us to test? It may be some kind of encoding format corruption or another issue. Will test!

https://digvolsoft.freshdesk.com/support/home