Not Finding Duplicates or Uniques. Strange Behavoir

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
rbflapjack

Not Finding Duplicates or Uniques. Strange Behavoir

Post by rbflapjack »

I have been using the software for the past few days and it seemed to be working fine. Did a great job of finding duplicates. However, today I was trying to find unique files between two drives and I got strange results. I set both drives to Not Scan Against Itself, and only chose one drive to find uniques. It completed the scan very fast and didn't find any duplicates NOR any uniques. How is that possible consider the drive with the Uniques option checked has over 20GB of files on it. Options are set to Everything (*) and Same Content. If there aren't any duplicates then shouldn't they all be Uniques?

To make matters worse, I ran a test by copying a video file from one drive to the other, ran the scan again, and still it didn't find any duplicates; even though I confirmed in Windows Explorer that the copied file is in both places.

Now I am starting to question the reliability of the software.

(Also, I am trying to paste a snippet of the screenshot here but can't seem to paste it)
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Not Finding Duplicates or Uniques. Strange Behavoir

Post by DigitalVolcano »

If 'Scan against self' is 'No' for a folder then any files in the folder are regarded as unique within that folder even if they are duplicates - this is probably the effect you are seeing.

This is a necessary feature for drive comparison to identify missing files, ignoring duplicates

Check the video here for drive comparison - it mentions the effect you are seeing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbYFB5w ... e=youtu.be

We're simplifying the settings and terminology used for version 5 - should make things less confusing!

See discussion on this topic here-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1882
rbflapjack

Re: Not Finding Duplicates or Uniques. Strange Behavoir

Post by rbflapjack »

I don't think that is what happened here. I had both drives set to No Scan against self and only one set to unique but I got 0 duplicates and 0 unique files. Either way, I restarted my computer and restarted the NAS and it worked fine after that. Wondering if there was an issue with some sort of cache it was using.