Cannot find files on drive where they exist

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Bob

Cannot find files on drive where they exist

Post by Bob »

I have been using the DuplicateCleaner for removing files and it is working great. I'm ready to wipe a drive clean, but first wanted to see whether there were any Unique files on that drive which are not on my backup. I know that they are there, but the tool is not finding them. Here is the path where I know files exist:
E:\backup\i\1_Gig_G\backup\bos1.2010-11-3\Documents and Settings\bos\Documents\My Pictures
I'm wondering if it is not seeing the files because the OS was originally doing something funky with the My Pictures folder where it had a Junction or mapping to a different place. The other files which it is not finding are in the ….\AppData\… locations. It should be scanning *.* with no exclusions and I also checked the box for Hidden files.
TexasNightOwl

Re: Cannot find files on drive where they exist

Post by TexasNightOwl »

I have noticed that clicking Show Hidden ONLY applies to the Folder To Search folder. For example, even with Show Hidden selected it will not search in F:\Windows\inf folder when the Folder To Search is F:\Windows. But if the Folder To Search is F:\Windows\inf it will search those hidden files.

To get around this BUG, you probably can unhide all files in all subdirectories before running Duplicate Cleaner. No idea why it won't search your My Pictures folder. For a program I am TRUSTING to be reliable with my files, this is kind of scary!!!
TexasNightOwl

Post by TexasNightOwl »

Oops. Just noticed in the Options menu is Protect Important System Folders. That may be why it is not seeing files under AppData. It is what was keeping it from looking the Windows folder.
therube

Post by therube »

Is it only the (bottom most) /My Pictures/ directory where the files are not found?
IOW, are files being found in some of the parents to /My Pictures/?
And if you (now) manually add (unique & purposely dup'd) file to /My Pictures/ & to say, /Documents/?

In Search (tab), Advanced, are the hard-link settings enabled?
In Locations (tab), might /My Pictures/ be filtered out (excluded)?

Could it be a permissions issue, where you don't have sufficient rights to /My Pictures/?