Can users customize their own filter (or filters)?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
hiratz

Can users customize their own filter (or filters)?

Post by hiratz »

Hello Developers/Maintainers,

I'm a newer to Duplicate Cleaner and just found this wonderful tool yesterday. It is a really useful software and I'm so excited to find it!

However, I found it seems one important function is missing when I was shown the detected results (the "Duplicate files" tab): choose partial files by their size or size range. Though I can indirectly do this by resorting the files by clicking on the "Size" column, it still takes some time. Moreover, when I want to choose the files that need to meet MULTIPLE conditions, for example, the files whose type IS or IS NOT ".xyz, and/or .abc, and/or, .efg", size is between "100 MB - 500 MB", position IS or IS NOT in "C, and/or D, and/or E", (even more, like the age of files, the modification time of files, the owner of files, etc.), I found it is still difficult to do so. "Mark" is a good function and only can do partial functions of the above mentioned ones.

So I was wondering if there is such a filter that allows users to set up some rules (just like the Gmail's filter) and only shows the chosen files (I call it "Files of Interest (FOI)"? If there is not now, I believe adding it to the future versions will definitely make this tool stronger!

The above filter is my expectation. For my current use, are there any ways to filter the files whose sizes are in some range? Actually, I just want to find the .mp4 files that have some specified size range from the "Duplicate files" list to show.

Thank you!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Can users customize their own filter (or filters)?

Post by DigitalVolcano »

You can pre-filter the scan by size range (file sizes in the Search Filters on the Criteria tab) but this is done before the scan.

Post-scan list filtering in combination with the selection assistant is something we are working hard on for version 5 .
hiratz

Post by hiratz »

DigitalVolcano wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:16 pm You can pre-filter the scan by size range (file sizes in the Search Filters on the Criteria tab) but this is done before the scan.

Post-scan list filtering in combination with the selection assistant is something we are working hard on for version 5 .
Thank you for showing me the way to meet my current use! Hopefully your future version will show more exciting features!
Doctorsbox

Post by Doctorsbox »

Hi, I have just registered this as I had a quick play and it looked like it could do the job BUT... I have >29,000 duplicate photos according to the scan. Some CR2/CR3( RAW), some JPEGS in multiple copies and folders created over the years where I have edited, or renamed so that I had some understanding when they were uploaded to a photo print site for things like photobook - year books, calendars etc.
What you are saying to the question is this software does not have multiple filters like oldest (original), then sub filter by say SIZE and then by last time edited? In fact I haven't been able to add columns or criteria like DATE TAKEN ?!!
You may be able to see my problem? If not …. I have many files exported to JPG in different folders, some edited but still have the same file name or are the same photo and size with a different file name.
Your current release does not appear to help because in the scan of one of my disks, I have 100s and 100s of "groups" of say 8 files - same name but different folders, same date, same size/and different sizes, some JPEG some RAW. Some jpegs end up larger than the original RAW file.

For example, I want to delete all files except only leave the original and a copy of the same name - the most recently edited ( so that would probably be a RAW and a jpg file of the same name) How do I do that?
I have problems like; if I have the assistant leave one in each group, the software chooses random file types of the same name and random files sizes. So the better quality IMG001.jpg (15Mb) could be DELETED instead of IMG001.jpg (1Mb). DCleaner even appears to want to delete 7 of those 8 files of the same name 3 jpegs 4 RAW and leave 1 random RAW or JPEG file that are randomly largest, smallest or somewhere in between and of different dates and folders.
Basically I don't want to be left with random versions of my photos in random folders and in many cases lose the original RAW shot! I have tried with the Photo filter so that it only displays JPGs but that still does not solve many of it's problems.
So, at this moment I find this pretty useless to do the job I paid my £20 for!
Help, as it would be quicker to repeatedly use windows10 search, and then delete that way, than trying to use this? OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING? thanks