Pasting of folder name in Available Folders Box Does not Resolve To folder

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
lsopen

Pasting of folder name in Available Folders Box Does not Resolve To folder

Post by lsopen »

Thank-you for considering a solution to this problem.

Description:

When I attempt to past the folder name in Available Folders, it does not resolve properly to the folder.
If I paste the same name in explorer it opens the appropriate folder.

The strange behavior is that when you do paste the folder name it resolves to the first folder, paste the same name again, it does an error sound, then resolves to the next level.

Scenario:
I have a lot of data which is why I purchased this program and a lot of folders. I seldom if ever 'browse' to anything by double clicking and opening each respective folder, because it's tiresome and causes carpel tunnel syndrome. It's very easy to search in explorer or the command prompt and get the folder name and paste it into whatever application that is in use. Word to save a document, etc. In this case, I just want to compare a specific photo folder with another photo source, but having to double click to get to the folder shouldn't be necessary especially when there is a box for the folder name.

Errant Behavior - The deviation

1. Open Duplicate Cleaner Pro
2. In the box below Available Folders paste a folder name such as.
3. C:\Users\lsopen\OneDrive\Photos\PowerShot\2007\January
4. The treeview opens c:\
5. Paste again. The treeview opens c:\Users
6. Paste again. The treeview opens c:\Users\lsopen
7. etc.

Expected Behavior - The working product

1. Open Duplicate Cleaner Pro
2. In the box below Available Folders paste a folder name such as.
3. C:\Users\lsopen\OneDrive\Photos\PowerShot\2007\January
4. It opens the Treeview to the respective folder.
therube

Re: Pasting of folder name in Available Folders Box Does not Resolve To folder

Post by therube »

I'll confirm the behavior as you have written.

That is odd, isn't it.

Even in the 'Folders to search' frame, there really isn't a particular viable alternative.
'Select Folder...' does not allow pasting a directory name, it is only a picker.
(Not that I'm familiar, but some versions of that type of picker, do allow to paste a dirname in the dialog.)
'Enter folder name...' (from menu or context-menu) is a bit awkward.
No method to directly paste from clipboard, nor can you drag&drop a dirname into the 'Folder to search' frame, both of which would be nice.

(In most of my work, in other programs, I rarely use directory trees, but rather paste or drag.)
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Pasting of folder name in Available Folders Box Does not Resolve To folder

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Thanks for the reports - this is a known bug and has been fixed in the upcoming version 5.0!

BTW,

You can paste a folder name into the 'Enter folder name' box, and the 'Folders to Seach' area does allow drag-drop from Windows Explorer provided you aren't running DC as administrator.