Slow 'calculating hashes' (NAS drive)

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
TB

Slow 'calculating hashes' (NAS drive)

Post by TB »

Hi all, just wanted to check what 'normal' is with regards to the speed for a standard scan of a NAS drive.
Before buying the software I ran it over my music folders (stored on a Synology NAS connected directly to my win10 PC via gigbit ethernet. Around 22k files total, all mp3 or m4a) and it was quick.
I've since purchased the software and have been trying to scan the remainder of my NAS for duplicates (I've tried it separately on 2 partitions of around 4TB and 5TB respectively) but it seems to start fast and then either hangs or slow to a absolute crawl (even the 'total time taken' count-up is not moving consistently). Even when there appears to be no progress in the dialogue box it's still using 700Mbps+ of network bandwidth so I'm guessing it's still working on something?
The scan I have running now got to around 25% in a minute or two and has taken a further hour to get to just under 30%. After several hours, I had to restart my PC with a previous scan 'stuck' at around 50%.
I do have some fairly large (2-4GB video) files on the drives. Not sure if that might be a factor?
Is this normal? Is there some setting I can change? I don't need an especially detailed scan - just looking to see where I've duplicated folder backups etc on the NAS.
Thanks,
Tim
therube

Re: Slow 'calculating hashes' (NAS drive)

Post by therube »