Duplicate Cleaner shuts down on start image search

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
GeertWil

Duplicate Cleaner shuts down on start image search

Post by GeertWil »

I suppose it has something to do some of my files or folders, but when I want to do a search for duplicate images (with RAW support) duplicate cleaner often shuts down a few seconds after the search is started. It happens again every time I try to search in the same folders. When I select a different folders, changes are there will be no problems there.
The folders contain a lot of DNG photo's. My photo software (Lightroom) doesn't find any problem when I do a DNG sanity check.
therube

Re: Duplicate Cleaner shuts down on start image search

Post by therube »

Are you able to come up with a file, or a subset of files, that will generate the crash?

If you run a Regular mode search, Same content, on the same set of files, does that also crash?
GeertWil

Post by GeertWil »

Thanks for the fast reply.

I have no clue which file is the cause of the error.
If I use regular search, no files are found (even with the option raw search selected).

In my case I was able to search for duplicates using an alternative approach.
I have, let's say a main folder A that contains the subfolders A1 and A2.
If I select A, I get an error, but selecting A1 did work without any problem. After A1 was processed I selected A2. This worked also. Finally I selected A and this worked too.
therube

Post by therube »

So you're saying that when you ran the scans on A1 & A2, you actually deleted files from those directories?

And now, scanning from A (to also include A1 & A2), works?

If so, then it would seem there was an issue between the 3 directories (like A + A1 or A + A2 or A1 + A2), & whichever file(s) that caused the issue has since been deleted. (Which does not help in determining the cause.)
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

If it is crashing (the program shuts down without warning) a useful source of info is the event log-
  • Click Windows Start button > Type event in Search programs and files field.
    Select Event Viewer.
    Navigate to Windows Logs > Application, and then find the latest event with “Error” in the Level column and “Application Error” in the Source column.
    Copy the text on the General tab.
You can aways send a copy to support if you don't want to post it publicly.