HEIC Support?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
kpolleck

HEIC Support?

Post by kpolleck » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Do you have any plans to support HEIC files? I have what I think are the same files in JPG and HEIC formats, and I want to know that they match.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: HEIC Support?

Post by DigitalVolcano » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:55 am

This is something we are currently looking into. HEIC support is fairly new to Windows so we're still researching a suitable way to incorporate this format into Duplicate Cleaner Image mode. Of course you can still find exact file HEIC duplicates using Regular Mode.
kpolleck

Post by kpolleck » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:40 am

Thanks for looking into HEIC. Having this is critically important to why I bought Duplicate Cleaner to begin with. I want to compare iCloud (which, oddly, gets downloaded to Windows as JPG files) to other copies of the photos (in various places--Google Photo, Dropbox, etc.) When the original iDevice photos were jpg, these could be compared as files (vs. as images). Now that they are in different formats, I need to be able to compare them as images.

I could set my phone just to save the files as JPG, but that takes up more space on a limited-space device.

Thanks!
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:24 pm

I just had many duplicate HEIC files show up in my results for 95% (other HEIC's only), but my issue is that the preview pane doesn’t work with them - I do have the codec installed (I think I paid $.99) for it. IS there a way to make that work?

Thanks.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Sorry, no preview for HEIC as of v3.1.1. You'd have to double-click on the file to view it in an external viewer.
kpolleck

Post by kpolleck » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:06 am

Wondering...is there a roadmap for when you might support HEIC (i.e. comparing them to JPG?) I know you cannot promise things, but is this on the roadmap? If not with some degree of confidence, I'm going to search for a different solution.

Ken
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:06 pm

It's on the wishlist for version 5, but the format is fairly new to Windows and appears to be encumbered by patents. After more investigation I can't promise to add it until the situation becomes clearer. So, I don't predict support for heic this year.