Illegal Characters in Path

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
ddewett

Illegal Characters in Path

Post by ddewett »

When using pro version 4.1.0 I cannot delete any files, move any files, or rename any files that are marked. I receive the error: illegal characters in path. There are no entries in the log file except, "0 files were renamed." I have spaces in the directory path; however, the scan completes as expected. Spaces are also legal characters in Windows, but I suspect this is the issue.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Illegal Characters in Path

Post by DigitalVolcano »

This is unusual - it should cope fine with spaces in the path. It's also odd that the failing files/paths aren't listed in the log. Is it possible for you to Export some of the marked paths that don't work to a CSV file (from the file menu), and post them here? Alternately you can put them in a support ticket if you don't want them in public.
thanks!
therube

Post by therube »

I came across this recently, How Should Everything Handle file with a final dot or period.

Perhaps something similar?
kenlohwh

Post by kenlohwh »

I've got the same problem too.

I was exporting around 90 thousand of unique files found in my search. However, Duplicate Cleaner Pro 4.1.0 exports only around 5 thousand. During the exporting, the app said: "Error exporting log file: Illegal characters in path."
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The CSV export issue has been fixed in v4.1.1 (not in the beta currently though).

The removal issue hasn't been fixed, and probably can't be - the problem is that have one of the following characters in one of your file names:

Code: Select all

\ / : * ? | < >
These are illegal in Windows but valid in Linux (for instance you are scanning a linux drive or NAS filesystem). It's not generally possible to delete these from Windows. You'll need to search your list for these characters and drop them from the list (One character at a time, using the Find tool).