Delete duplicates that are not matching Digitised date (Exif data)

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
jang430

Delete duplicates that are not matching Digitised date (Exif data)

Post by jang430 »

Hi. First time to post here. I'm always making copies of my files. As expected, a lot of files gets a duplicate. Oftentimes, from moving them here and importing them accidentally, not knowing it's been imported earlier, I end up with multiple copies of the same photos. Difference being, when imported to ACDSee, the program I use, there are files that matches the Digitised date (placed onto folders matching their Digitised date), and there are those that are placed onto another date, I believe this is due to import via creation date of the photo, and sometimes, the creation date of photos may be changed due to multiple moving around.

I think Digitised date is the accurate way to save the original copy? I think it's based on EXIF data, correct? I hope I can isolate these, and delete all the rest. How do I go about this?
Shane

Re: Delete duplicates that are not matching Digitised date (Exif data)

Post by Shane »

Note that it's possible to end up with file system times that don't match a photo's EXIF creation time at all, even when it's first imported, depending on camera/OS/software/etc.

If you did an Image search with both 'Exact Match' and 'Digitised Date/Time', and only those options, DPC should find and group all duplicates of any given photo which has had neither its pixels, nor the particular EXIF metadata which tells ACDSee when the photo was actually taken, altered.

Does that help?
jang430

Post by jang430 »

So is it possible to isolate files with oldest digitised date when I am shown the files for comparison?

End goal is to retain file with the original digitised date.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Odd. The "digitised date" (i.e. the date it was taken by the camera) of the photo that is stored in its EXIF data should not be changing just by moving or copying the file around. Is it being confused with the file system's creation and modification dates?

When shown the list of duplicates you found, you could right-click each file and choose 'Properties' then in the window that appears click the 'Details' tab to see the 'Date taken'.

P.S. to DigitalVolcano, I've checked the Help and can't find anything; exactly which EXIF tags correspond to which tag terms used in the Image mode Search criteria?
jang430

Post by jang430 »

Hi @Shane,

I am finally able to searched via digitised date. Currently, a lot of duplicate files was imported to my ACDsee database, 1 with folder date exactly the same as digitised date, the other duplicate file is off. It may have been imported based on creation date or something. How do I isolate the folder with the correct digitised date? Folder names are pictures/2014/2014-04-30.
Shane

Post by Shane »

If your search resulted in the duplicates you wanted to delete, ALL having created or modified file dates later than the digitised date except for the 'originals' with their matching dates, you could use "Mark by modified date/time" or "Mark by created date/time" and choose "Newest files in each group" to mark all but the first of each set?

(of course, as with all batch deletions, make sure you have a backup of everything first!)
jang430

Post by jang430 »

Easiest way is to say delete all except the oldest file in digitised date, but in mass selection, there are only modified date, created date, and no digitised date. And the result from search don't really guarantee that all in the topmost result are the ones with the oldest digitised date.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Then, sorry, probably need to request an update to DPC such that its search results include the ability to display and mark/sort by digitised date.
jang430

Post by jang430 »

Thank you for your support.